help with piston rings, seem to tight? help

i have ordered the smallest piston rings for my moped

its a v1 minerelli and when i compress them all the way it wouldnt go in, like they compress and then they like touch eachother and seem like it will fit but wouldnt go down into the piston, like i had to hit it hard to make it go down? then left the top ring out and then had to force it out?

i think the rings are like .05 cm long or somthing?

should i cut them down a tiny bit, with a dremel and then try them?

thanks alot

Re: help with piston rings, seem to tight? help

well i got the rings in after cutting them down like really not much at all, not to make a difference but to fit and now its really tough like almost rough to push the piston by hand, ? i have not lubed it up yet because im not gonna put it on the bike yet,

would this be good?

also what are the breakin methods for new rings?

thanks alot

you need to find the manual and read the parts of gaping the rings in the cylinder. it should not be dragging.

Yes.. if you put that motor together with near-zero end gap in the rings, you will ruin everything, very quickly.

Ring gaps are set before the rings are installed on the piston. Put the ring in the cylinder bore, about 1/3 of the way down. Use the piston skirt to square up the ring in the bore, then check the gap with a feeler gauge.

If the gap is too small, remove the ring, and file the gap. Repeat the measuring & filing process until you have the gap specified in the manual. Do this for all the rings.

you should lube up the rings well to make sure they go in nicely.

okay, cut the ring a tinnnyyyy biut short and it went in with no gap and lubed it up

works fine so far, i was running it today but tryed to stay below top speed

how do i break the rings in properly?

thanks alot

You got that exactly right.

okay, not the head wont fit snug unless i hook it up without the lil round metal gasket that goes inbetween the block and the head?

why is this?

should i run it without the metal ring?

thanks alot

This is the head gasket. You NEED to READ the MANUAL. You will soft sieze if its not gap right or if the cylinder is egg shape.

Good luck.

_okay, cut the ring a tinnnyyyy biut short and it went in with no gap and lubed it up _

That's funny, because page 37 of the Minarelli V1 manual (mopedriders.org) says that the ring gap is 0.012" (twelve-thousandths of an inch) - not "no gap".

I have to ask you - Why do you bother asking questions of knowledgeable people, when you don't plan on following their (correct) advice? If you think you know better, then please don't waste other's time.

okay, well i bought rings a little bit too big, for my model, they were a lil bit to long, not to fat. they when fully compressed and each end touching the pin would not go in so i cut a tiny bit off and made it like the other end and it worked great with 0.012 gap, when i said no gap i meant no visual huge gap like without the rings type of gap

the rings are not the problem, its the head gasket, it will not fit snugly on the end that sticks out, it will leave a amount of the thinckness of the head gasket when tightened down, this this not snug on there but does tighten down as much as it will go, but still a gap?

when i try it without the headgasket it will go on all the way but feel too loose, this is without tightening it on, i have read the manual, nothing in there will help

this is the head gasket. You NEED to READ the MANUAL. You will soft sieze if its not gap right or if the cylinder is egg shape.

how do i sieze the head or gasket? i need help it has a gap when i put it on, almost like its slightly warped? can any one help?

as far as trying to get it to run with that small gap it wont start up only run with the clutch engauged, when i let the clutch out it dies down? heellllppp

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account