PUch maxi tranny drain plug problem

THe tranny dain plug in my puch maxi will not come out. It turns, but will not tighten or loosen. What the hell do i do now?

cheers,

-charles

Re: PUch maxi tranny drain plug problem

Grab it firmly with a Vice-Grip, and unscrew it while pulling hard on it with the vice-grip. You should be able to work it out of the hole.

Once it's out, you need to either repair the thread with something like a heli-coil, or tap it for a larger size, and find a plug that will fit it.

I'm going to try that again. I tried it with channel locks but couldn't get it. I did, however remove the side cover from the engine and drain the fluid as best I could the messy way. I figured I could do that from now on and just JB weld the plug in place :-)... Not too sure if that's a good idea though.

No, it's not a good idea to JB it in place.. do a proper repair on it, it's worth it.

I don't know how large that plug is, but most good auto stores sell a line of self-tapping, oversize drain plugs for oilpans. I've used one with 100% success to repair a stripped drain plug in an 1960's Suzuki 90cc.

If the vise grip won't get it out, here is a suggestion:

Put a high-speed tool (like an impact wrench, or even a big power drill) on the plug, and spin it at high speed in both directions. With a little patience, you can probably wear away whatever the plug is still hanging onto. Then try again with the vice grips.

i had the exact same problem they must strip out real easy i bought it like this i just drilled the old bolt out and tapped it and now it works find.

All fixed. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone...

cheers,

-charles

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account