Maxi wiring ?

Brian Mikami /

While Smitty and I work out some carb issues, I thought I'd throw out this question. Does the wires from the magneto all HAVE to be hooked up? I have a Harley tail light, dual filament with one red and one black lead. The green wire from the magneto is the switched positive for the brake light, works fine. I tried going with the grey (tail light constant positive) to the black wire in the tail..nothing. So I grounded the black wire to the frame, and ran both the grey and green wires to the red wire in the tail..nothing. So now, I just have the green wire going to the switch wire and the grey is left alone...going nowhere. I taped it off and tucked it away. Does it need to be grounded or connected or is it OK as is...I remember reading that the lights and horns need to work to complete the circut?

Here's a pic of my wiring...thanks

Re: Maxi wiring ?

i guess you've already got the mopedriders.org Puch service manual and THIS wiring diagram?

I'm not sure exactly what your question is but from what i see on that diagram the ignition is not dependant on any accessories.. all that needs to be connected is the wires between the ignition coil and the magneto..and none of those can be grounded. (activated kill switch grounds one of them)

Also, any wires (yellow and tail-light grey) coming from the magneto's internal ignition winding should not be directly grounded.

Brian Mikami /

Thanks joew. I was asking if it's OK to leave the grey wire from the the magneto not connected to anything.

By looking at the Puch diagram, the blue/black wire is for the horn circut. I tied it in with the green/black wire which I think is the magneto ground and have both grounding to the coil mounting bolt. Should I diconnect the blue/black wire and not ground that?

Jason Luther /

the magneto is its own ground. i cant see any reasons for letting unused wires hang taped off.

My question is what voltage and wattage is your bulb for the tail light the grey positive wire for the tail light comes directly from the 5 watt tail light coil. It powers nothing else if your bulb exceeds 5 watts their is too much resistance and your bulb won't light off that coil.Jim

easy to check resistance with your multimeter.Check your old 6v 5 wat bulb for resistance and check your new bulb for resistance they should be the same.Jim

Brian Mikami /

Thanks guys. I just checked the old single filament bulb... 0.5 The new double filament bulb has .03 on one terminal and 1.0 on the other...probably the brake light side. I'll try and see if I can get both to work. On my drawing, I have the blue balck (horn?) tied in with the green/black...both going to ground, I'm not running any horn, is that OK or should I take it off?

What i did a year or so ago.

I felt the original brake/tail light was so small it was hard to see! What i did was replace it with a trucks fender mounted directional light. I found out that the same design was used for brake lights also that's what i put on my maxi.

I changed the dual filiment bulb socket in the light to take 2 sockets for the single filiment bulbs. It ended up working great much bigger light and used the same moped bulbs.I'm sure you could do something similar with your different light.Jim

Brian Mikami /

My tail light is kinda small with no room for another socket...nuts. It's a good idea though Jim. So......you think I should yank the blue/black horn wire off? I'm not sure if grounding it is gonna mess up the magneto...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account