!! Moby spark wires !!

ok i have been dicking around with the spark wires on my moby and i cant get it to work. the original one was all f'ed up so i tossed it and had a performance wire laying around for a car. so i installed it but after a little riding it dies and i have to take out the plug and pedal till thats dry and jam the wire back a bit and it works for a while and then does the same thing. is there a better wire i should use?? this one doesnt have metal inside it, its this wierd wiry fiber wraped with a rubbery material and then insulated. anyway the plug i am using is new and has a spark, this sux cause i need to get to work and i live 15 mi. from it and im afraid my car isnt going to make it anymore haha (the brakes are pretty much gone)

Re: !! Moby spark wires !!

their is a lot of resistance in that car wire compared to the peds wire .Such a small spark your drowning the plug.Jim.

ok ill get a better one for the ped, thanx

bandit,

You have to use a solid copper-core plug wire on that bike, the graphite core automotive stuff will not work. You should be able to buy the right wire from a shop that does snowmobile/ATV/dirt bikes etc. Some motorcycle shops (good ones) have it too.

I have an NGK 5K cap on mine, works great. I think the original Novi cap was 1K.

NGK 5K cap? soory i am dim i dont know what you mean

bandit,

Almost every plug cap found on mopeds, motorcycles, ATVs etc, are what we call "resistor caps". Since there is no real resistance in the wire (solid copper) the cap needs to have the resistor - this helps the ignition to work more efficiently, and helps to eliminate radio interference.

Almost every bike calls for a 5K (5,000 Ohm) resistor in the cap, so this is the most common type of cap available. NGK (the same folks who make the spark plugs) also make a high-quality spark plug cap, for motorcycles, mopeds etc.

I think the original cap on the Motobecane is 1K (1,000 ohms), but so far, the 5K cap I have is working fine. Someday, I might special-order a 1K cap, and see if there is any difference in performance.. but I kind of doubt it.

ok

ill goi and get the copper wire tomorrow from cycles 128.

i should ask for the 5k ngk resistor cap also or can i use the one that comes on the wire. i ask cause like a jack ass i picked up a spark wire (prob. for a car not moped ) at napa today and put it on and the thing ran 10 mi. back to my apartment without a problem. i will definetly get the copper one if you say i should but i was wondering if the copper wires cap will be the one i need?

anywhere else you can think of sell the spark wire???

i went to the motorcycle/jet ski/dirtbike/scooter shop and hey said that they dont use or sell them.

ill be going to look around at maybe a lawnmower shop tomorrow.

copper is copper

go to the home depot cable area, and bring your plug cap with you. you will find something that will work (grounding cable perhaps)

They will look at you funny when you ask for 6 inches of it

oh you rock i hate running around looking for stuff i cant find, so they will have it eh?

the only problem is, i dont have the original plug cap, if i bring the plug would that help?

i cant find a copper wire!!!!!

no one i have been to has it. also no one ive been to has the NGK 5K cap. i dont know what is going on. also i pulled the plug wire from my puch newport ,cause that isnt working either. unfortunatly it is not the correct gauge for the novi coil and it keeps popping out. forgive me if this sounds like a simple fix but it isnt for me cause i never have done it. so anyway i am able to get it going for a while with the puch cable but it is a bitch to get going and then i seem to lose power at low throttle. i dont know if the throttle issue has anything to do with the wire but i thought i would throw it in there since i hadnt had any problems since i started in with this plug buisiness. please help i need to fix this. the 15 mile ride to work is scary with no reliable transportation, let alone it is horribly frustrating and does not make for a good day in a 100 degree shop

thanx

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account