what do i do?

A couple of weeks ago, the mount where my headlight bracket is welded to the forks broke on one side. Yesterday, The other side broke off and now i have it held on by zip ties. I asked a couple of people if they could weld it for me and they said that it would burn right through the bracket. I was wondering if it would hurt if i screwed it into the fork, since inside the fork is just one big spring, right? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Mike

Re: what do i do?

It depends on the fork structure.. the screws could go too deep and mess with the springs .. or you might nick the springs or something else when drilling the holes.. some forks are oil filled .. Anyway, drilling into the unknown is not a good idea.

Take the bike to someone who has a MIG or TIG welder and knows how to use it.. these welders are able to weld thin sheet metal without burning through.

Another option is to braze or silver solder the bracket .. silver solder is kinda like brazing but you could probably do it yourself with a propane torch and genuine silver solder.. its a handy skill to have.. silver solder is a bit expensive but a little goes a long way.

the forks should be disassembled so nothing inside would be damaged by the heat of brazing or soldering. Welding is fast and heat is localized so there would be minimal heat damage.. paint might suffer a bit..

Go some place where they do sheet metal welding and get them to tig it.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

do you think i could do it with a soldering iron? i have one of those....and will that hold my exhaust to its mount, that broke today too. Too many problems :(

Mike

nope.. you gotta get the metal red hot to silversolder or braze.

sounds like that bike is falling apart.. get thee and thy bike to the welder man

just a thought ........could ya use large hose clamps ?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account