10W30 or 15W40?

Hello,

I drive an FA50 (Suzuki, 1984) and the manual suggest using 20W40 motor oil in my transmission. Unfortunately, this oil is unavailable in my area.

I know 10W30 and 15W40 would both do fine, but I would like to know which would be BEST (second ofcourse to the 20W40 I can not find)?

What do the numbers mean, I know it has to do with weight and the usual temperature of the environment in which I ride... but that's about it. So, could you send me a link that explains this or do me the favor of explaining this in a way that I could choose which oil is best suited for my moped.

Thank you for your time and enjoy the summer; a lot of riding hours are waiting.

Re: 10W30 or 15W40?

Michael Vogt /

What the numbers mean is when the temperature goes(i.e. 40F or lower) the oil gets thiner so the transmission can turn really easy but when the oil warms up it gets thicker so it can lube better.

It kinda depends on where you live but what I would use is 15-40W because is the better match to what your FA50 manual saids to use.

Hope this helps.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account