too much oil in my indian

I have an Indian ami-50 and the other day i thought it might be low on oil. I put around 1/2 a quart into the thing, its a 4 stroke. and when I took off it started to ooze oil out of the top of the engine casing. Now I dont know much about this bike, or how to fix it, but should oil come out of the engine if i overfill it? It is very hard to test the oil level in the thing so I never know if im ok. Plus it normally leaks some oil. Any help. should this have happened?

Re: too much oil in my indian

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

You said" It is very hard to test the oil level in the thing ", You should NEVER over fill a four stroke. You can cause severe damage. No matter how hard, test the oil level. Jim.

what types of things happen when you over fill? Maybe im stupid

did i just blow the seal on the top of my engine?

drain your oil. refill with 24oz of 20w50 motor oil you should be all set as long as you didn't run it with too much oil in it. the oil level in you engine is actually very low in the case which is why you have a dipstick. it sounds like you've over filled it, hopefully you'll be fine. how's that bike runnin by the way? i sold it to the guy that sold it to you, you know.

jay

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

over filling allows the crank throws to splash oil every where. This will cause oil leaks. Also you can blow the seals. First drain the oil and put in the proper amount. Next clean off the outside of the engine so you can pinpoint where it is leaking. It may not leak with the right oil level. Jim.

Well I ran it with too much oil in it. It ended up oozing out the top of th engine case, the problem is that the dipstick does not do a good job of estimating where the oil is, I have filled it correctly before and the dipstick showed nothing. Anyway, who knows about indian engines? if it leaked out the top of the engine does this mean I now have a gap in the seal. If so what bad will this cause, and it still seems to be running ok. What can I do to make it alright? and to JAY, im sorry, its a great bike and is running well, I just wish I wasnt so stupid some times.

some engined have an over-fill hole in the case. my yamaha qt50 had one. i over filled it and it oozed out the top of the case untill the proper amount was in there.

does the indian have a overfill hole? any one from Novi help me out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account