VESPA PX; ENGINE OVERHEATING?????

if anyone could give me some advice i'd be most grateful!probs with my PX 125.only a couple of years old, but the previous owner hardly ever used it. went out for my first long journey over the weekend (glasgow to skye (200 miles).after about 80 miles, the engine kept on cutting out, but after engaging the clutch the engine would start again. then, after about 120 miles, the engine just conked out and wouldn't start again. i dont think it has seized, because it is still turning over. the spark plug seems to be sparking ok as well. the only modification it came with was a scorpion stainless steel exhaust.

exhaust

if the exhaust is the only change, put the original exhaust back on as a test.

exhaust leaks can easily cause overheating, especially if the leak is at the exhaust port. A pipe pumps in and out and can draw fresh air into the leak which then leans the mix .. which thn causes hot operation.

Examine the piston and rings and cylinder for evidence of overheating.. go over the bike from end to end and tune, tighten and check everything, including the fuel system.. long rides require careful preparation unless you enjoy long walks..

Re: VESPA PX; ENGINE OVERHEATING?????

i bet that was a nice ride up to skye, once you got out of glasgow anyway, good to see other users from here.

was good up until the my scooter gave up. had to get a backie, with two persons camping gear for about 80 miles! if youve seen the hills on that road you will understand that it took us a while! got there in the end though!

You are driving a scooter and this is a moped site, but, do you have any idea if the main jet in the carburetor was changed when the pipe was put on? It might be running too lean and causing serious damage to the engine. You might want to check in a Vespa scooter site.

p.s. Scotland is the only place that I have ever been able to buy a cold Coca-cola off the shelf in the middle of August.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account