Gas tank cleaning

Hi guys, I'm new to the moped world and need a little help. I have a 1977 columbia commuter sachs moped and wanted to clean the tank. I don't really know how to do this and what solutions or solvents to use. If anyone could tell me step by step what I need to do, I would greatly appreciate it. If you could tell me exactly what solutions or solvents to use (like specific names) that would help me out alot. Thanks.

Re: Gas tank cleaning

Hi, I am also relatively new to the moped world. I had to clean the tank on my 1980 Puch - it was nasty as it hadn't been run in 5 years or so. Anyway, if the tank is really bad (scale, rust, varnish) one of the best things to do first is to put some really hot soapy water in the tank with about 20 assorted nuts (make sure you count them). Fill the tank about 1/2 way up. Then shake the crap out of it. Do this till your arms fall off. Fish the nuts out when you think you've got all the junk out that is going to come out. A magnet will help with this. Then you can treat the tank with an acid etch (Kreem A or something else) and follow that with an acid neutralizer (Kreem B or something else). I did this and it helped - not perfect, my arms fell off pretty quickly!...Jim

Amondo,

I did just this to my Solumbia (Solo engine Columbia) about 2 weeks ago. There is an exact description of what I did, and how it went.

Here is the thread:

http://mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=6&i=22401&t=22401

Gas tank cleaning

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.mopedrepairmanuals.com/gas.html FYI. This link may help. Jim.

Looks like I wasted my $ on the Kreem...live and learn.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to go and try the things you said and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

-Amodo

Just wanted to let you guys know that I did clean out the tank, not thoroughly (I plan on doing a thorough clean in a couple of days) because I couldn't find phosphoric acid but next time I'm going to use coca-cola. I did put in a lawnmower fuel line filter and flushed the tank out with new fuel (I strained the fuel to clean out the tank and still keep the fuel). I started up the moped and it ran beautifully, I did have some problems in idle with it shutting off after 10 or 15 secs of just sitting in place. But I am pretty happy. Thanks guys.

did you flush the tank with soda water to displace the acid?

Well, actually, I didn't even really clean the tank just yet. I just flushed the tank with fuel to get rid of any free rust for now. I didn't put in any acid or alochol or anything yet, just regular flushings with new fuel. But I will clean it in a couple of days for real. Thanks for the concern though.

-Amit

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account