puch electric problem

My puch was running great until a few days ago. Now it won't start up at all. I thought it was the fuel system. I cleaned everything and installed a filter and clear gas lines. I can see the gas flows well, doesn't seem to have any clogs. I do notice some dark fluid under the connection point where the exhaust pipe meets the engine.

I'm thinking it might be something with the electric system. How can I tell if the spark plug is bad, or if the bike is even getting a spark at all? Do moped use the same spark plugs as cars?

Thanks

Re: puch electric problem

To test your spark, pull the plug out and use a clamp of some kind to hold it to the cylinder head, and then have someone pedal it. Do NOT hold the plug over the plug hole as gas could come out of the spark plug hole and catch the charge from the spark plug on fire. If you aren't getting spark, you could bypass the main wiring harness and ground the points, and hook your positive to the coil. This will tell you that there is a problem with the wiring also, and rule out the magneto. Or even check Fred's guide on this website for helpful information.

Jason Luther /

they are not the same as car plugs, so get a brand new correct plug. ngk b5hs. then do as angie suggested and see if it sparks.

ah, where can i buy a spark plug then? would they still sell them at auto stores?

Jason Luther /

some do , some dont. just call around and see. motorcycle atv shops should definatly have them

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this website and am having the same problem. We bought a new plu, but we aren't getting any spark. Who is "Fred" anyway so I can check his posts/links/help whatever? thanks alot...neecie

PS It meant to read "plug" not pl;u......ha ha

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account