carb jet issues?(excessive acceleration)

i recently rebuilt my ped and now that its all back together in what appears to me like working order i have an acceleration problem . it seems to me that as soon as i kick start the bike it kicks to full throttle with no idol or throttlin involved i dont understand why . i think its probably got to do with the carb main jet activating instend of the others at lower throttle which should but i dont know how that works exactly . im not expecting a specific algorithm for fixin it but any information anyone has reguarding these problems would be very helpful since i must confess i dont really understand whats going on at this level. please help

~john

Re: carb jet issues?(excessive acceleration)

check the throttle slack

Sounds like the throttle slide is stuck open.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

the throttle slack is fine and preset from before when it worked fine, im pretty sure its the slide stuck in full now any advice on how to adjust it?

Disconnect the throttle wire at the handlebar.

Remove the top of the carb.

See if the slide is free to move up and down in the carb body.

Check to see that the needle in in the center of the jet.

Re-hook everything back up.

Make sure that there is a little slack in the cable at the handlebar.

When you reassemble most carbs, it's easy to not get the cable end properly seated in the throttle slide. This causes the slide to hang open.

Also, on some carb models, it's possible to install the throttle slide backwards. This will make the 'idle' insanely high.

Jason Luther /

got any air leaks around the carb?

Did you screw your idle adjusting screw all the way in? That would give you a fast idle.

If so try backing it out a few turns.

now im kinda new at this but im trying to teach my self and do apreciate advice but after all this i picked about slide needles i got to investigating and it appears to me that the thing dosent slide at all, the needle has a metal clip in the end which sits on a solid piece of metal that cannot move , under this piece the end of the throttle cable is seated but pulling on the cable is not capable of moving this piece that is wholely connected to the carb, it has a spring loaded plastic cover on top that i suppose could respond to changes in pressure in the carb but i dont really understand what the throttle cable is doing can someone explain please , it seems to me as if its seated in an unmovable portion of the carb.

"See if the slide is free to move up and down in the carb body."

no it is not it can only move up from where it begins then a spring pushes it back down automatically , its clearly not stuck but the throttle dosent seem to be opperating it either it seems to me like its just sitting there

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account