Puch crank

Louie Armstrong /

See pic

Ok so i;ve got this crank that I'd like to use in my current engine build, but It is out of the engine with the clutch and flywheel still on it. How should I go about getting the clutch and flywheel off withought damaging the crank so that I can clean and polish it?

Thanks,

Louie

1118950073_dscf0004.jpg

Re: Puch crank

is the rust on a crank a bad thing?

Louie Armstrong /

Of course. I'd like to get it all off. Im putting together an engine in the hopes of hitting 45-50 mph, so everything has got to be clean.

yeah, i mean.. i got an engine which needs rings, and i removed the head and the crank looks like yours... a little rusted...

the engine will be for sale soon...and i wanted to know if i needed to open everything up to remove the rust, or if i still could ride the moped 30mph with the rust on it...

how did the engine run before you opened it?

thanks

g.b.

Louie Armstrong /

Before I opened it, it had sat outside for a good couple of years. If the engine runs to 30, you shouldn't rip it apart, just sell it. I doubt your seeing rust, just a bit of oil and maybe a little rust.

Well the flywheel is pretty easy to get off you just need the flywheel puller to remove it. As for the clutch... it is pressed onto the shaft. Pretty much everything that you see there was pressed together. They heated the outer items up a few hundred degrees and then slipped the parts together. When the metal cooled presto one solid crank shaft. I had a machinist un press the con rod so that I could replace it with another one. That cost me $25. I would suggest checking if the bearings spin without too much resistance. If the spin freely I would just clean it the best you can with all the parts together. Except i would remove the flywheel and all the electronics. Since the flywheel is highly magnetic any rust filings you remove will get attracted to it. Also you might want to remove the piston and shine that up, and replace the rings just to be safe.

Good luck cleaning it up,

Chris Paz

Louie Armstrong /

The piston is shattered and I'm kitting it anyways, so no worries.

I'd like to replace the clutch, so I'll get it off somehow.

Thanks

Louie

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account