Meitian Moped Engine Trouble

My son bought a meitian(chinese) moped last year which now has just 376 miles on it. Got it started OK after winter and it ran fine the first few days. Then my son was coming back from town and it totally lost power. It would idle OK but when you tried to open the throttle up it would bog down or die. I installed a new spark plug and ran it a few minutes with the air filter off to increase the air flow which helped. Put the air filter back on and it still seemed to be running OK. Started it up to take it for a test ride and it idled for a minute or two and then quit and now I can't get it started. Plug is wet when you take it out so it seems that fuel is getting to it. I am suspecting a plugged jet maybe? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Engine is a Yamaha and the carb is a dellorto. Thanks again

Re: Meitian Moped Engine Trouble

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Is it 2-stroke or 4-stroke? Jim.

Sorry, 2-stroke

Did you mix your fuel/oil per the owners manual? Be sure the choke opens.Jim.

The oil is in a separate reservoir and it is mixed automatically. Forgive my ignorance, but how do I go about checking the choke function. It is an automatic choke. Looks like the same as I have seen on Hondas.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/Click on this link, the text is outdated but it will describe how to check for spark etc. Jim.

Thanks, I'll let you know how things work out.

OK, so it turns out I have no spark. I don't think it is the plug as I hooked it up to my garden tractor and it sparked just fine. So, now what? Thanks.

I think your bike has an electronic ignition system. Do you have a battery? Is it charged? Do you have a blown fuse? Jim.

Yes, it is an electonic ignition. The specs say the ignition mode is CDI. It does have a battery which is charged and I did look at the fuse in the battery compartment and it looks fine although I did not check it for continuity. There is a spare there which I suppose I should swap out just to make sure but it looks OK to me.

Jason Luther /

it sounds like a carb problem. dellortos are easy to take apart and clean, so i would start there. and your plug is probably just fouled from the ped running crappy. also did you try fresh gas? 2 strokes are real sensitive to the condition of the gas.

Hey Jason, he posted:OK, so it turns out I have no spark. I don’t think it is the plug as I hooked it up to my garden tractor and it sparked just fine. So, now what? Thanks.

Larry, I can't help you with the CDI unit. Jim.

Thanks anyway, Jim. I am going to go over the wiring harness and make sure I don' t have any loose connections or bad grounds, but I expect I am going to have to try to find replacement ignition components which may be fun since it appears that the ignition components are about the only thing on this bike that is actually chinese. Any help from anybody dignosing which component has failed and where to go for parts would be appreciated.

Well, I got spark back going over the wiring harness. I think I may have had a bad ground. Anyway, now I am back to the original problem that it bogs down when trying to open the throttle, so I hope dellorto carburetors are easy to take apart and reassemble as jason noted.

Before going nto the carb, Turn your fuel petcock to off, remove the fuel line from the carb. place the fuel line in a container, turn the petcock to run and make sure you have good fuel flow. Jim.

Turns out I have a vacuum operated petcock that gets the vacuum from a port at the outlet of the carb. Fuel flows freely when I sucked on it so valve seems to be working OK. So, following Fred's guide, it looks like cleaning the carb is next on the list unless anybody has other suggestions.

Remove the spark plug, squirt about a teaspoon of fuel/ oil mix into the plug hole, reinstall the plug and crank it. If the engine runs, you have a fuel problem. Jim.

Here is a good one for you. I took the carb off and when I opened it up I found a steel pin laying loose inside the housing. Upon closer examination it is the pin that is supposed to be in the hinge that the float pivots on. I don't see how it could have worked it's way out given the configuration of the carb so I am guessing it didn't ever get installed in the first place and it just took awhile before it shut us down, I guess. Anyway, I put it back where it belongs and the bike seems to be running pretty good. Maybe lost a little speed at the top end but it is probably running the way it is supposed to now. Thanks for the help.

had the same problems. I twisted the gauche in front of the air intake. This rubber peace should be left of the bike and it wil run smoothly again!!

Succes

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account