1976 Puch Maxi Bogging?

I've been having some problems with my 1976 Maxi.

After I've been riding along at full throttle for a while, with plenty of power and everything working great, all of the sudden the engine starts to hesitate, and slow down, almost like its sort of cutting out or something.

Then, when I come to a stop, it stalls completely.

It used to take a lot of riding before it started to hesitate, but now it's taking less and less.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Re: 1976 Puch Maxi Bogging?

So, this bike runs fine when it is running.. no trouble.

how long are you riding along at full throttle .. 50 miles? 5 miles? How far was it before and what is it now..

and right after it stalls, what happens.. restart? nostart until the engine cools? wait 30 seconds?

Today I was at full throttle for maybe 30 seconds, and then it started hesitating.

Last weekend I rode at various throttle speeds for about 3 miles before I started having problems.

When I come to a complete stop, it stalls out. However, it starts right back up after that.

How is the fuel flow? When you take fuel line out of the carb does it run freely? Is the carb clean?

The last time I checked it was fine. I have an inline filter on there that is free of debris.

The carb was clean as well.

I will re-check both again tonight.

it does sound as though fuel resupply into the carb is gradually getting worse. I'd go upstream of that filter and compare flow to down stream of it ..

Flow into the carb should be thick and steady. At top speed you've got about a 30 second supply in the bowl.

I checked the fuel flow--it's great.

I also cleaned the carb--it wasn't very dirty.

Finally, I changed the spark plug.

It's definitely better, but, after riding for a bit it still stalls when I come to a stop. Also, it occasionally lacks power when I try to accelerate.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This is exactly what my Honda NC50 Express is doing...

this is what my afm roadmaster did today, road and then it started getting bogged down and would only go in full acceleration tried to let it idle out when it would restart like david said but would take off, kept bogging down and even tried going down hills and only had a few times when i heard the vrrrmm come back and pull me???

still sounds like the carb .. since you say things got a little better, i would go back into the carb and not come back out untill it's immaculate.

Complete disassembly .. long soak of metal parts, including the body in a cleaner.. All initernal passages blown out with strong compressed air... A clean work area and clean solvents, rags and brushes.. Careful reassembly.

These bikes are extremely sensitive to carburation.

Thanks joe, I will try cleaning it again today. At least the weather's great outside!

Jason Luther /

sounds like a plug fouling problem.i had a similar problem with my maxi, plug chops looked great, but if i idled at an interection longer than a minute, it would stall out when i took off halfway across the road. try putting the needle on the top notch (leanest position). how is your timing? is your air cleaner clean?

Jason--interesting diagnosis. I noticed that the carb needle was on the lowest notch (richest position) when I cleaned it last. I will try lowering the needle to make it less rich.

The air box is clean. I haven't checked the timing yet. I'll keep you posted....

Dave

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account