how do i remove this kickstart?

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

it's a 2000 tomos. see the attachment. it was 48hrs. just to get the damn case open. bike is a mess. was going to put a 27 toother on it. when i opened the case, four pieces of metal fragments came out to greet me. aw, you shouldn't have. anyhow, now, i've taken the washer and nut off of the kickstart lever, and i know it has to have some special way to get it out, just not sure how. do i need to tap it from the left or possibly get pliers and force it out on the right. let me know if you know! check it out:

1118867040_case_off_illustration.jpg

Re: how do i remove this kickstart?

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

and here was the welcoming committee. any clue what kind of washer or ring they used to form?

1118867090_uh_oh.jpg

ahh thats a good thing you took your case off and found that, thats for your oil pump .. and if you u were running for a long time without that thing and didnt notice it, you woulda did some serious damage to your motor .. thats supposed to be one peice of metal, not 4 peices, prolly broke, get a new one ASAP or premix ASAP..

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

i have been premixing, as the pump is not connected anymore. does it matter then? other than that, how do i get the kickstart off?

The bent washer on the sprocket bolt keeps it from coming loose, it will need to be replaced after removing.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

anywhere other than mopedwarehouse.com to get a replacement? motorcycle stores carry em?

You don't need to replace it. You can rebend it when you put it back on man. All it does is lock that nut to keep it from coming loose. I've had my sprocket off and back on, at least 4 times and no problems.

Leon Swarmer /

using a punch carefully should bend the washer flat enough to turn the nut. Don't get violent on it.

Leon

John Joedicke /

You have 6 sides on that nut, just bend the washer from a different flat.

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

okay finally got that pin off. now that large nut. huh huh. do i have to take the other side of the case off to hold onto it. it spins counterclockwise and i can't find a place to use maybe a screwdriver to get some resistance. any suggestions?

Smitty Smith /

No, you can use a screw-driver through the slots in the sprocket, and catch one of the protruding bosses behind the sprocket on the engine case to stop the sprocket from turning as you loosen the sprocket nut.

Did you damage the pedal pin? Do I need to send you one?

;^)

Smitty

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

no. the pin came out fine, smitty. thanks for the heads up. i had to tap it once the end went inside the chamber. all is good. now it's just 90 degrees out so I'll debate workin on it til later tonight. my stock sprocket is a 26. the replacement is a 27. think it matters much? not a big improvement i assume.

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

i got it flat and the SOB won't come out. i'm perplexed. with tons and tons of liquid wrench, sweat, a beer or two and enough profanity to make a sailor cover his ears, it still hasn't budged a damn bit. are you sure i don't have to take something off on the other side of the bike? still shows that there's that tiny hole where the washer pushes in. what am i missing?

ur fine if it is tighten on there stock then it may be a little tight just put a flat screwdriver through one of the hole in the sproket and the scrwdriver should catch a metal lip that is on the case ....................and the little tab on the washer is suppose to be in the hole on the sprocket when u lossen the nut the washer will pull straight off...............also wat tool are u useing to try and lossen it ........u should use the right size wrench and i cant rem. wat size it is..

BlAiR

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

I tried to use a 30mm deep socket but it still didn't reach. adjustable wrenches are stripping the nut. i may have to buy an angle wrench. anyone know what size to use if it's not metric?

John Joedicke /

Should be 22 mm

i used vice grips

Me and Jarret use an 1 1/4" wrench to take that nut off.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account