Oil injection

I see a lot of posts where people bypass the oil injection so they can just premix the oil and gas together. What is the purpose of doing this?? I'm getting an oil injected moped with the tank under the seat, is it dangerous to have it like this or what's the deal?? If it is, how do you bypass it?? Or does it improve performance or prevent future problems if the pump were to stop working?? Any tips or posts appreciated. I want to do what is safest to prolong the life of my engine and keep it in good condition. Thanks in advance!

Re: Oil injection

Anyone?? It's a 1987 Trac Olympic. It has the oil injection under the seat and goes 30 mph. The exhaust seems to have a nice blue smoke. Exhaust was totally cleaned, but gas is a bit old. He told me with new gas it'll run much better, but it already runs really smooth and has good pickup from low end all the way to top end. I had it pushin 30 mph with me on it. It may go faster, but speedometer only goes to 30.

if an oil injection pump fails or if you run out of oil in it's tank.. or if something clogs the oil delivery, you'll be running with no oil. a bad thing .. So, without some sort of safe guard or a warning (like a dummy light) oil injection can fail and you won't be aware of it until .. well.. until the bike struggles and slows to a stop .. perhaps suffering a minor piston seizure or much worse.

This is why some people prefer to bypass an oil injection system and pre-mix instead.

Agreed.. it seems like some of the ped pumps (Tomos..) are prone to failure. I've seen several threads about this issue.

Then again, I ran Suzuki T-500 for huge miles, and never had a single failure from the oil injection. It's all a matter of design & build quality.

My Tomos has oil injection,and I am leaving it alone.Just because something CAN fail doesn't mean it's going to.Anything CAN fail.

Ok. Well that's a good thing. I realize things can fail. This moped has an oil light on the speedometer to let me know when it's out of oil. I just thought maybe it had something to do with the oil/fuel ratio? Like maybe sometimes an oil pump does not mix enough oil with the gas or something lol.

and that's yet another valid question.. how much oil is actually being delivered? At any particular moment, there's no way to tell. I guess the dummy light tells you the tank has oil, which is better than nothing.

Personally i'd like to have oil injection.. im not at all fond of premixing. If worse comes to worse, have cell phone and credit card will travel.

The old Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki 2 strokes had an injection pump that was driven by the engine. The faster the engine went the faster the pump ran and the more oil was injected. They also has a throttle cable connection. The farther the throttle was opened the more oil wan injected with each stroke of the injection pump. So if you were going wfo the pump was pumping a lot as that is when you need the most. But at idle, it was pumping very little.

I'm sure that your unit is only engine speed controlled. With the warning light to make sure that the oil tank has oil it should be OK. Just remember to keep the tank filled up.

For more Pre-mix vs Injection arguments, go to any fishing board and do a search for "bypass" where ever they yak about outboard motors. Same issues, different angles...

Zeke

Thanks all for the information. I guess this moped will just take a standard 2 stroke oil too. I'm trying to find some kind of owner's manual for this moped, or get any information on it. I know that Trac used the modified Batavus engine. I just don't want to fry anything, and it's just a common thing I've seen on the boards, is people bypass the oil injection. I'm going to leave it alone though, I don't know what I'm doing, and I'll just keep a close eye on my oil level to make sure it's working. Thanks again all who answered.

I recommend(and use)Yamaha Yamalube 2-stroke injector oil.It is available at any Yamaha dealer.

I don't think there's a Yamaha dealer close by. I know we have a Honda shop here in town, and a moped shop in the next town over. I just want to use the best thing I can. I want to take really good care of this moped :)

Another thing I like about this ped, the choke is up top near the speedometer, so it's easy to access. The guy I'm buying this moped from said he's never once had to choke it to start it, even after sitting in his garage all winter long, it just starts and goes. Nice little ped I don't want to fry if the oil pump would happen to stop functioning for some reason or another, that's why I made this post. I am going to leave it as is though, and again, thanks all for your suggestions and tips. You have been a BIG help.

if you're intent on using the injector system, follow the manufacturer's recommendation on the oil type used.

All oils are not created equal. A modern synthetic or semi-synthetic has had most of it's solvents removed and the solvents' functions are instead accomplished with special additives. These additives are one reason these oils are used only in the recommended, smaller quantities (lower fuel:oil ratios). Using too much of certain of these additives can build up and prevent good ring sealing, for instance.

Another consequence is that the engine will intake a large quantity of actual oil. (Plain old 2-stroke oils are actually about 50% solvents) Plug fouling, excessive smoke or rapid carbon build up seems very likely if the pump actually delivers a 40:1 mixture of a synthetic oil fomulated for 100:1.

Unless the pump is capable of variable delivery, it's system was designed for a particular type of oil..

Try and find an Owner's and Service manual somewhere so you'll have good, detailed information from the original source.

That's what I'm trying to find. I had my doubts on using syntethic oils, because I figured that with age and all, this moped was probably not made to use them. I'll ask the original owner what his take on this is, and what he's always used in it.

Oil injection

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account