Gasket?

Matthew Westberg /

Okay, I’m looking for a new gasket for the float bowl chamber on the stock Gurtner carb on my 79 Moby. The old one is just about done and it’s likely affecting vacuum.

I was going to make a new gasket out of liquid gasket, but it’s a moped carb, you have to disassemble and re-assemble them so often that that’s a nonsense idea. A paper-type gasket like the original would be much better, but I don’t know how to cut one myself that fine and have it not be ragged-edged and a perfect fit.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions in the following order:

1 – Does anyone know anybpdy who would actually have those gaskets? Online parts listings are a nightmare and have nothing so finicky as all that.

2 – Could you suggest a way cut such a small, fine gasket from a sheet of gasket material with clean edges?

3 – Any way at all I could make liquid gasket work without messing up my fuel system and having the damn thing fall apart on me when I dis-assemble the carb?

Thanks.

Re: Gasket?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

hEY bJERG, i DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET A SINGLE GASKET. yOU MAY HAVE TO ORDER A REBUILD KIT. jIM.

Matthew Westberg /

LOL cAPS lOCK. Wouldn't be the first time I did that myself.

On topic: What's the rebuild kit have in it? And where would I get one?

I was speaking in general terms about gaskets. When I had my automobile shop, individual gaskets were not available. A rebuild kit usually consists of a float, float needle and replaceable seat, all internal gaskets and any small parts considered wear items. I have not rebuilt a moped carb, I assumed rebuild kits were available otherwise you would have to buy a lot of new carbs. Sorry if I misled you. Jim.

Matthew Westberg /

LOL, that's okay. There's not a lot of Gurtner stuff out there, so I'm doubtful there's a kit like that.

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/gurtner.html Here is a blown up parts picture, see if this helps. Jim

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

1977 mopeds bought out 3 nos mobys and got a bunch of parts from the buy out. they have gaskets and what not for the gurtners. you should give them a call and make an order. i dont knwo how much the gaskets and stuff are but i do know they had them. their number is (269) 344-1977. they went down to cinci for bomb prom, so they wont be back until tuesday at 12:30.

Matthew Westberg /

Man... looks like they have 'em (part 10 diagram B) but I'm not paying a fucking $10 HANDLING CHARGE plus ANOTHER $5 or more for the shipping on a damned $2.50 Gasket.

What a bunch of bullshit. That's just sad.

Matthew Westberg /

Maybe I'll try 'em later. I get free long distance at work (I mean, that's my job: to take and make calls all over North America) so calling anybody isn't a problem at least.

what's the outside diameter,the inside diameter and thickness i have a gasket cutter here.jim

Matthew Westberg /

Can it do a figure-8 shaped gasket or just circular ones? If you look at Steamboat's link you can see the gasket seals two different-sized adjacent cylinder housings.

I don't have the bike right now since my dad wanted to fiddle with the electricals (I'm HORRIBLE with wiring) and I only have room for one ped at my current apartment with a new one coming (supposedly) this week. But I can get the measurements ASAP if you can cut a gasket that shape (I'll do up a diagram with the X-Y measurements). I'd really appreciate it.

Matthew Westberg /

Sorry, cylinder-SHAPED. Important difference there.

Just round ones sorry.Why don't you just make the indenticle copy and use an exacto knife to cut a new gasket from the proper material.Jim

Matthew Westberg /

That's what I thought of doing at first, but I'm worried about crumbs from any ragged edges on the interior cut. It's very hard to cut a perfect small circle with a regular exacto.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account