Carb Guru Honors, Jawa Division

Jon Zetterlund /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Howdy -

I'm a Moped Newby and the proud new owner of a '93 Jawa 210 (thanks, Chad). When I first got the bike it would only start and idle with the choke full on. Since then I've torn down and cleaned the carb and the exhaust, replaced the sparkplug, cleaned the wimpy filter on the air box, and replaced all of the missing and/or burned out bulbs and lamps.

Still, the motor would bog out as soon as I cranked the throttle far enough to pop the choke off, and would sputter to a halt. The only way I got the Jawa to run AND roll forward was to partially block the air intake. I found that if I applied a strip of duct tape (100MPH GI stuff) across 1/2 to 2/3 of the intake, I got RPMS when I turned the throttle. I could actually run on both flat surfaces AND modest inclines, with a top speed of 30mph. The carb is getting plenty of gas, based on the wet interior of the airbox cover when I pull that off...

Still, I don't much like the "band-aid" approach, and don't really consider it fixed. What adjustments can I try to make the motor breath right? There are only two adjustment screws on the carb, and I can't find them explained properly in available documentation. Can anybody give me starting points to set these at?

Any other wisdom you can pass along would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Zeke

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account