Tires?

I want to buy a pair of tires for my 2003 Tomos Targa. Instead of putting on the same old stock semi slicks, I'd rather have tires with more thread. I looked at several places and I'm wondering if Cheng Shin tires are reliable? Are there any other street tires that are available in a 2 1/4" x 16"? Like IRC?

FYI: I'm running a 70cc raptor kit with it.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Tires?

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

get a pair of savas, they are nice.

If your not looking for the semi slicks go for michelin vm100s they are j rated for 100km/hour or 62 miles/hr ,and avaliable at http://www.ronayers.com They have a nice street tread for about 14 dollars each.Jim.

I've had Cheng Shin street tires on my MC for the last 3,000 kms and they seem to be very reliable. I don't see any hint of wear, but I don't abuse them either. I don't notice any unnatural noises. They do grip the road very well.

With Cheng Shin they have lots of different types of treads so you can choose what you like. Maybe choose a different tread for the front vs rear? Do they have your size?

If I do choose a different front and rear tire, which one should have more tread? The front? Anyway, my tire sizes are both 2.25" - 16".

Thanks,

Rob

Nice site ronayers has. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks Jim,

Rob

Sava or Sawa?

I'm no expert but I believe most MCs have chunky rubber on the back for lots of grip to move you forward and to throw off any mud you might ride through.

The front is usually slightly narrower to allow for better steering control and water displacement. You don't want a fat sucker tire in the front or your steering might feel sluggish.

In the back, provided you have sufficient clearance, a fatter tire can give you a little more cushioning. Check your clearance to see if you can add a slightly fatter rear tire. There is a recent chopper trend to put a bad ass fat tire on the rear and a skinny thing in front.

Toronto,

See, I don't know these things.

Rob

So are you saying that less treads are needed on the rear tire and more on the front?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks,But i can't take all the credit someone was talking tires here last week and mentioned it.nice site though.i'm going to be buying about three sets of 2.5 17s soon.jim.

usually, the rear tire should have more grippy (if that's a word) threads, because the traction is there.

The front tire should have threads also, in order to turn, but it doesn't requires as much

sometime, the font tire can have radial threads, which looks like a bunch lines that makes the circumference of the tire

g.b.

I'd stick with stock to be safe. Your mfg recommends the same width tire for both front and back, and they made your 'ped. This will give you optimal performance according o the mfg.

If you wish to deviate from the mfg's advice you may affect the performance of your 'ped. If you're going to deviate an option is to keep the front stock, and get a slightly wider rear, which grips better and transmits power from the tire to the ground and gets you moving.

What you don't want to do is get a fatter front tire as your steering might become slower. A fatter front tire is heavier and it might make your 'ped feel sluggish. More weight on the rear tire won't affect you as much.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account