Safari moped just bought but won't run wide open!?

Bob Pearson /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I just bought a 1978 Safari moped made in italy this past weekend. It ran great and rode it for about 10 miles around town. I rode it to school and it was fine but when I started it to go home it wouln't go. It would start and idle ok but when I opened the throttle it bogged down and died. I put the choke on and it would ride very slowly like that. The choke on this moped disactivates when you hold the throttle wide open. I would open the throttle and and it would run open and then let down and die. It ran and started like new before all this and I don't know wats wrong with it. I cleaned the fuel filter, petcock and petcock filter, and the gas tank. All of those had rust stopping it up. It runs still the same though. I am thinking the carburator needs cleaning? Or would it be better if I just took it to a local motorcycle shop and have them figure it out.? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob Pearson

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account