Safari moped just bought but won't run wide open!?

I just bought a 1978 Safari moped made in italy this past weekend. It ran great and rode it for about 10 miles around town. I rode it to school and it was fine but when I started it to go home it wouln't go. It would start and idle ok but when I opened the throttle it bogged down and died. I put the choke on and it would ride very slowly like that. The choke on this moped disactivates when you hold the throttle wide open. I would open the throttle and and it would run open and then let down and die. It ran and started like new before all this and I don't know wats wrong with it. I cleaned the fuel filter, petcock and petcock filter, and the gas tank. All of those had rust stopping it up. It runs still the same though. I am thinking the carburator needs cleaning? Or would it be better if I just took it to a local motorcycle shop and have them figure it out.? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob Pearson

Re: Safari moped just bought but won't run wide op

It would seem fuel is being restricted somewhere,.. closing the choke results in a richer mixture, closer to being a correct mix, and the engine is able to run.

However, the bogging and sound of the engine and choke-thing can be mistaken for the opposite.. like actually too much fuel is getting in. (Closing the choke effectively restricts air AND fuel .. when air is cut off, fuel is also cut off. ) But if just partially closing the choke allows it to run at high speed, then i would suspect a too-lean mixture, fuel starvation problem.

But this is all academic.. either the ignition has a problem or the fuel system. Since you found rust, etc, it's no doubt a fuel thing.

On an old bike that's been sitting for years the most common trouble that suddenly appears is a dirty fuel system, most often the passages and delicate metering things in the carb. Once the old bike gets taken for a ride, stuff breaks loose and clogs something up.

Wow. Sounds like the engine, Minarelli V1 engine, is one of the best out there. Its only one speed and has the tube frame as a gas tank (wierd!). I will get some pics tonight as I am going to clean the carb and then see what I need to do.

Thanks, Bob Pearson

Who made the Safari moped? Or is it not owned by a parent moped company. I heard some Kinetic Safari stuff.

Thanks, Bob Pearson

Great news! I cleaned the carb and spent an hour started it and letting it idle and got it running! Runs better up hills and now the upgrades begin! Exhaust first!

Thanks All Who Helped, Bob Pearson

P.S. I also got some pics uploaded so check it out!

that happened to mine after i CLEANED the filter.. still havent fixed it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account