Motobecane help

I bought a Motobecane Moby awhile back and decided to try and get it going and encountered a problem.

When I peddle it does not engage the motor.

The motor turns freely so I know that is not the problem.

Any ideas?

Re: Motobecane help

unless i'm mistaken, there's a engine-engagement / disengagement lever thing on the left side.. down near the pedal crank.

this pic is from a moby manual on THIS page.

Will,

Engaging that lever can be tricky. The first time I tried to do it, I heard a pop and found that I'd pushed too hard and made a spring pop off. The instruction manual tells you to turn that lever while you roll the bike backwards, but I would turn it while you watch the pawl on the back side of the pulley engage the gear. That way you can turn the pedals until you see the pawl and gear teeth line up.

I guess my advice only works if you don't have all your chaingaurds and other covers on... my bike came without them, so I can see the back of that pulley pretty easily.

If that lever was already engaged, and you meant that your clutch was turning but your engine wasn't turning over, you could try holding in your decompression lever while pedaling (under your right hand grip). Let go of it once the engine starts turning.

On a motobecane, the clutch drum spins around the outer perimeter of the flywheel. If the drum doesn't spin at all when you pedal, then the engagement lever is in the 'bicycle' position - or it's broken.

If it does spin, but won't turn over over motor (pedaling fast) then the clutch is bad.

Thanks Joe, Anthony, and Legendre

There is a lever but I figured I'd better post before messing to much with it.

My luck it will be broken :)

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Will

First let me say thanks to all who replied. I did figure that lever on the sprocket cover had something to do with getting this little ped going, as before I posted I had already turned it both ways. After reading your responses I went back to the garage and tried again with no better luck. I can turn the lever all the way counter clockwise and it pedals like a bicycle just fine. When I turn the lever clockwise it does feel like it engages, but I'm not sure it engages all the way because the lever still feels a little spongy and it still doesn't engage the motor. BTW I'm trying all this with the bike on the center stand as I don't know if this makes any difference. I tried turning the back wheel backwards also and it doesn't make any difference. What else should I look for? Or what is my next step?

Thanks Will

Hi, I'm just learning about mobys myself. Are you pushing in the decompressor handle when attempting to start the ped (this lever is next to the throttle). Incidentally, I just sent the motobecane manual (pdf version) to your email; this might give you some helpful info.

Paul, if you have a .pdf of that manual, I would like it as well.

legendre@msn.com .. Oops, not msn, I meant at nerp dot net...

Thank you.

Thanks alot Paul.

I wasn't pressing on any levers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Will

Will,

That lever can be tough to get locked into the moped position. Not only must things line up (turn rear wheel as you try) but it takes a firm hand to get it done. A shot of WD-40 might help things a lot - just keep it off of the belt.

It will have a springy feel until it finally snaps into position.

This has nothing to do with the decompressor lever.

paul,I just got a motobecane from my nephew but it doesnt run .Can you email me the manual please

my email address is ragtopper2@yahoo.com

take off you side covers, and look on the back of the pulley wheel as you turn the engage, disengage switch. once you see how the mechanics work it will be easy to see where the problem lies. that switch is often bad. I have had some bust on me.

if it will not work anymore you can permenantly put in engaged mode by drilling a hole through the pulley wheel, and pinning the arm in the engaged mode with a nut and bolt.

Again I'll start off by saying thanks to all who took the time to help. With tomm. being Sat. I should have a little time to get back on trying to get this ped running. I saw the decom. switch, but didn't know thats what it was for. As it says engine off/run and just thought it was some sort of kill switch. Oh well maybe I'll make a little more progress tomm., again thanks and later on I'll post an update. To the people who requested the manual via pdf, if Paul doesn't get it to you I'll send it out to you tomm.

Thanks Will

try squeezing the decompressor lever tward the throttle..and the engine should engage,,some catch fast some take a while...then some do nothing and then you have to search for more problems...

love these things.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account