Odd noise at low speed.

04, Targa LX, 530 miles, Technigas, 58jet, and 25 front sprocket.

I just started my bike up yesterday and went for a ride. I noticed that at low speed/low rpm there's a noise that almost sounds like sand spraying up in the front fender. However, this noise is coming from the motor. It only lasts for a short period, but i have no idea what's causing it. I'm running about a 40:1 mixture.

I know it was humid yesterday. My bike would barely top-out. However, if this noise is a big problem waiting to happen could someone let me know?

Thanks.

DannyMOped07

Re: Odd noise at low speed.

stock engine? why run 40:1? rich with oil makes your bike slow down and carbon to build up (not a problem unless it gets under the rings)

Engine's the 50cc, but i run with the oil injection. Then, I throw a cap-full of oil into the tank and swirl it around a bit. So it's around 40:1.

Hmm... maybe that sound I'm hearing is the burned off oil "pinging" as it hits the exhaust tube. That could explain the "sand on the fender" noise.

DannyMoped07

Any other suggestions?

DannyMoped07

Dan your description fits exactly what is happening with my 64cc polini maxi i just couldn't put it into words.lol.I had a large jet in there for breakin and would get the sand sound which i thought was pinging around 25mph. It seamed to happen when i let off the gas.

I did a plug chop today and found i was rich.I dropped it one jet size and the sand moved up to around 34mph Much less pronounced though it still also 4 strokes, but that also moved up to higher rpms I'm going to chop again tomorrow and probably drop another size I'm also runninig 40:1 oil,bi turbo and 14 mm carb. with 16/40 sprockets.Jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account