puch throttle cable pain

got a question , I have after market universal throttle cable and had to jerry rig it , when i first got my speed kit, hooked to a amal carb, I'm sure you all know, the lead keep on the end of the cable

the after market one is just straight cable. no way of securing it in the throttle, grip. if anyone can advise a way to remedy this would be a great help. thanks

Dean

Joe I put 48 miles on my ped yesterday, and it ran fine until I ran it out of gas. The speed kit I'm not getting my mileage I should be lol.

Re: puch throttle cable pain

what type of throttle grip is it? does it fasten with a little screw onto a slider, or does if fasten by catchin on the metal knot that is attacted to the end of the cable? Puch made two types of throlle assemplies.

the orignal one had the lead knot on the end of it.

ouch :p that will make it difficult. I suggest either getting a standard cable, (not to hard to fine, try ebay). or if it's possible getting the other handle assembly, its easier to use, and just better overall.

My preference is to repair and use original parts if possible.

If the cable is otherwise in good shape and is still long enough, what i like to do is find a metal rod or a bolt whose shank is of the correct diameter. Drill a hole just large enough for the cable. Cut off the short length of rod. Then silver solder it onto the cable's end.

I've repaired at least 3 or 4 cables like this.. drilling the small hole and cuttiing / fitting the barrel so it slides in and moves freely requires some care. Can't be sloppy about it. But if it's done right it'll last forever.

They make some kinda universal barrel-end repair thing with a funny name.. wtf is is called.. donp mentioned it a couple times.. gotta search..

OK .. KNARP

ok thanks for the info and advise, well have to make the wife bust out the check book and buy me OEM cable.

Dean

Brian Mikami /

Yup, most motorcycle shops will carry a 'screw on'barrel end piece. I have a custom chrome cable set made by Rigid that has the bare ends with the screw on barrels that slip into the brake and throttle slots. Some are different sizes, make sure you bring your asembly in to check...call first, I had to hunt down one for my custom choke lever.

Brian Mikami /

Heres a crappy pic of the small brass one I used. The brake lever ones are bigger, like pencil eraser size.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/5751ec3e9a4feab575962e78e006250d/2942_p45264.jpeg

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account