can i use a bike tire

I have a flat tire on my tomos tt classic and i was wondering if I can use an innertube from a moutain bike with an equal size tire, or if I have to use an innertube labled "moped innertube".

Thanx.

Re: can i use a bike tire

You can use whatever you want to, however, a moped/motorcycle style tube(it will have a steel valve stem) will last longer.

Bicycle tires arn't really a good idea, they arn't designed for the weight or the speed. I'd just get a cheap set of Cheng Shin's.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

i think he just meant the inner tube.....i was kinda wondering the same thing myself

that's what i meant, the innertube.

I've used them, but not long term enough to say it will work indefinately.

i looked here for a ike inner tube, it cost 6$ CAD, and it was for 16' tires.

Then, i go to the motorcycle shop, and i got a 17' inner tube made for mopeds for 5$ CAD.

STRONGER. RIGHT SIZE, and CHEAPER... that was great...

i had to wait a week to get it....

g.b.

I would also recommend putting those tire liners made of Kevlar in your tires. They will prevent many punctures but not all of them.

I have had a couple flats and they were a pain in the ass. Now, I do everything possible to avoid them. Good tires, good tubes, tire liners, etc, as well as watching carefully in front of me!

George Smith /

i had bike tire tubes in a jawa for 5 or 6 years....but i will say it's not a good idea.....as bike tire tubes are thin...however if ya get one of the really good mongoose or gt thorn proof tubes they hold up fine and are same thickness as most moped tubes but they still dont have moped/motorcycle type stems

Don Pflueger /

nope, and the stem is very important. especially if you need the tube in a rear tire. otherwise the torque from the engine causes the tire to slide around the rim which will rip the valve stem outof the tube, or worse yet, pull the valve stem inside the rim while under full pressure whic makes it impossible to deflate the tube without puncturing it and ruining a good tire and tube, just to remove a tire.

thorn tubes are rediculous, way thicker than moped innertubes...can hold like 300lbs they are 3x as thick as a regular innertube. you can overinflate them or whatever, i recommend them.

George Smith /

wish they had metal valve stems but there is a solution....find coaxial cable splicer nuts and screw onto valve steam and bingo or any thin nut will do :)

Don Pflueger /

they do make threaded valve stem bicycle tubes. the nut would just rip right off the rubber.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account