Engine honing

So maybe some of you heard earlier I used sandpaper to hone my cylinder...Not a bad idea in actually, we have done it with success in my shop. Reguardless the sandpaper I used was so fine it really didn't take off any material at off even though it looked smoother....I bought a brake cylinder hone from sears and that thing fired up like it never has before.

Reguardless I heard someone here talking about the "silicone brush hone" which i saw online and it looks way more forgiving around the transfer ports (where my hone shoes just got stuck) where can i get one the right size??? Any ideas??

Re: Engine honing

nevermind you guys, found a dude on ebay who sells every size silicone cylinder hones, got a 1.75 inch hone for my 1.78 inch cylinder... Finally i can get the sections between the transfer ports smoothed out...

The shoes getting stuck is why you should use a ball- hone on a 2 stroke, for the final cross hatch.

As for finding one small enough, I've never had that much luck.

will emery paper work the same way as sandpaper? and if so which grit should be used?

George Smith /

hehe ive used all of the above and got a 2 cycle engine cylinder hone sitting right here next to my desk heh :)

should you lube up a cylinder after honing or just wipe off the excess?

George Smith /

i always wipe out with a lightly dampened with sae 30 clothe but too each his own :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account