General 5 Star wiring diagram

I have a 1978 General with a moto marini motor. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I have no spark unless I ground the blue wire from the magneto and the red wire also from the magneto I run it to the coil then I get great spark. It seems like I have an on/off switch in the off position but the only thing I see is a stop button and a fork lock with two wires attached to it. Any help is appreciated. By the way it's a General 5 Star.

Re: General 5 Star wiring diagram

trace those wires on the lock and button switch.

Use an ohm meter.. continuity meter ..multimeter .. Check for both wires going to ground instead of just one.. if both ground it'll never spark..

Two wires to the lock must kill ignition.. why else have a lock wired?

And since there's two wires, one would be a ground wire. The other would NOT be normally grounded (or theres no spark when unlocked)

get the 5star manual at mopedriders.org .. last page has a blurred wiring diagram with a lock-switch .. and it does look like that switch grounds the ignition to the negative battery post.. But battery or not, all it needs to do is ground the points to the frame. And there's a push button switch in the same circuit that grounds.. So, it looks like either switch kills spark.

maybe differrent engine but companies tend to wire all their bikes in a similar manner.

Larry Ward /

Hey Joew: Looks like you're helping again! Man I owe you a bunch of beers. I really like this General and the engine a marinelli looks like its pretty good, lots of compression. Something is stopping the engine from getting spark. Like I said I separated the red and blue wires from the magneto and ran the red directly to the coil and it fired a nice fat blue spark. So it must be in the wiring. I looked at the MRA site and found a general with a Sachs engine but the wiring looked the same. I think the key switch has something to do with it, you can tuern the kety and lock the fork but the key won't come out. I traced the wires to the headlight and took a look and didn't physically see a problem. I did a cursory ohm check and din't find a cause. It's one of those cool things to investigate. I have someone coming to look at the Hobbit tomorrow. I hope it sells I really dispise that little bugger. How about it when a guy at Moped Madenss took it for a ride and said it was one of the faster ones. I guess I'm too used to a Targa. I think this General will run well. Do they still make and import Generals?

Sounds like you got a winner once the wiring is sorted out... and whatever that problem is seems easy. And good luck with selling the Honda.. life is too short to hang onto annoyances. Give him a strong deal so he's got nothing to come back and complain about.

Maybe the guy at Mopedmadness is polite and says that to everyone? I'm still learning about these bikes and may have gotten lucky with mine... who knows.

got no idea about Generals' availablity.. not at all up to speed with what's out there..

Don Pflueger /

no the general 5 star is no longer made. if you want to bring it over one day, i can look at it for you. i had one and know it pretty well. make sure your tail light bulbs are good.

Larry Ward /

Hey DonP: I have no spark. I take the red wire from the magneto and put it to the coil hot side then I ground the blue wire and viola I got spark. I checked rear bulb and it looks okay. I think it's a simple ground somewhere or not a correct circuit any ideas?

Don Pflueger /

your probably right. the 5 star has a pretty messt wiring setup having a battery and stuff, so it can be a confusing nightmare to figure out. test the bulbs with a meter for continuity, make sure the ground wire on the rear fender has a good clean connection, and test the continuity of that switch. shouldnt be too hard to diagnose once you know where all the wires go. check the switches in the brake cables as well.

Larry Ward /

DonP: I have having a devil of a time trying to find something with this wiring harness. It's a 1980 General w/Minarelli motor. When checking brake light switches I noticed that when I go to ground and put my circuit tester probe on either of the wires I have continuity. I don't think that is correct? When I disconnect the rear brake light switch from the harness I still don't get spark. I was hoping someone had a wiring diagram they go email me. I've done a pretty good investigation of the harness and connectors and I am not finding a problem. This may get done to me pulling each wire and finding the problem that way. Any ideas? I get spark when I ground the blue wire from the mag and take the red mag wire and go direct to coil with it. Then I get real good spark. Wardie??

Don Pflueger /

its a positive ground system if i remember right. but it sounds to me like something is shorted out somewhere. what you need to do is start at the magneto and follow each wire up thru the harness until you find the short.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account