Puch Maxi Exhaust

I have decided to purge my exhaust in a big firepit to clean it out. I think Im just gunna put the baffle and header pipe in the fire and leave the actual outside muffler out and clean it with gas. Any advice on technique? Also, come to cincinnati if you can this weekend, it will rule bones seriously.

Re: Puch Maxi Exhaust

i hope you're not actually going to clean the muffler with gas _while_ the other parts are in the fire!!!!!!

Jason Luther /

there is no point in putting the actual chrome muffler in the fire. just get a stick or something and scrap the inside out (idoubt there will be much of anything). i wouldnt even put the bafflesin the fire either. use a srew driver and just scrape all of the carbon out of the baffle holes and such. the baffles are aluminum so they will melt in a fire. the fire method is for those pipes that arent take-apartable.

i believe the best way to clean a puch exaust is to use a miniature propane tank and just hold the exaust with a towel. it works really well and burns off all of the carbon. Just remeber to take the baffle out and clean that separately :)

Peter Piper /

mmwhaha it worked great. I ended up just putting the main tube in the fire, especially the part that connects to the exhaust port on the cylinder head. Burned off a good 1/4 in. of nasty nasty. The fire was pretty small so i did it in sections taking it out when it started glowing orange. It never got soft or anything and left the pipe nice and clean.

Flush it with carb cleaner overnight then pour all the crap out into a dirty bucket the next day. watch and see all the stuff that comes out of a freshly bbq'd pipe

whats the best way to clean a baffle. should i scrap all the carbon down to the aluminum or just clean out the holes.

also, how do i get the the actual exhaust pipe off of the header.

Jason Luther /

cleaning out the holes is enough, and then just use a piece or wood or something (like a paint stirrer) to scrape any big chunks off of the sides, you dont have to go crazy. by exhaust pipe do you mean the chrome muffler/outer shell thingy? there is a nut in the back that you take off, pull the washer, little tube and then the baffles out. you will probably have to use plyers to get some of the stuff out. oorrr if you have a narrow strudy stick (like a broom handle) you can stick it into the header end of the muffler and hit it on the ground and the baffles will come shooting out. if you have latex gloves, i suggest wearing them. or buy some lava soap :)

i cleaned the baffle and the outter chrome...does the part in the picture come off too? i remember reading that sometimes there are restricting tubes welded in the header. does that mean i have to detach the muffler from the engine?

1119140134_dscn0012.jpg

Jason Luther /

i wrote that thread. but by the looks of our header, you dont have them. that part (the 'header pipe') is one piece all the way to the engine. there is really no need to remove that, unless to get the cylinder off. if you are concerned about an exhaust blockage, have you looked at the exhaust port on the cylinder for carbon build up? but if your baffles werent too bad, then its probably fine...

i was just cleaning it out there wasnt a problem...but now it seems to run slower, but it could be the other modifications i made...i moved the rear wheel back to lessen the chain slack. i think im going to drill the airbox and ditch the snorkel. i need some more mph.

i believe the chain is supposed to have slack on all mopeds to run correctly?

tell me if im wrong?

yes that's true, some have a tensioner along their chains as well

i had about two inches of slack (pushing up from the bottom) so i moved the tire back until i had only about half and inch of slack as recommended by the manual...but i think it might be too taught?

Jason Luther /

about 3/4" give or take is what you should have, so you sound okay. puch chains need to be looser than many other peds. although 2 inches way too much. did you use an actual measuring device, or just the 'ole eye ball? what other mods did you do?

Jason Luther /

just getting rid of the snorkle wont do anything except bog you down, unless you upjet.

i cleaned the muffler/baffle. hooked up all the switches. tightened the rear brake a bit and moved the tire back. i was just doing it by eye. how do i measure it? could i have tightened the bolts too much?

Jason Luther /

doesnt sound like you did anything to make you go slower, unless you chain is too tight. maybe the wind was in your face :) use a tape measure or something and with the chain just hanging there, measure how much you can lift it up in the middle of the span. i dont think it has to be super accurate, its hard enough to keep the wheel straight while tightening, let alone keep the proper chain tension. id say anywhere from a 1/2 to a full inch and youre fine.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account