'78 Puch NEWPORT ????

SOOOO i finally got the new puch over to billings from missoula last night!! and got my first real good look at it!! as i hastily bought it at a garage sale during a thunderstorm over in missoula a few weekends ago, i didnt even really look at closely and wasnt sure what i was getting other than it appeared to be a clean NON-RUNNING puch for 20$$ how could i go wrong!!!??? the guy said that it needed a new coil and it hadnt run in 3 years… well now that i actually look at it i see why he said it needed a new coil, because there is NO coil on it!!! AND no spark plug which has me a bit worried, as too how much RUST may have built up in the cylinder and head!?!?!?!? a quick look in the empty gas tank shows a little surface rust around in there as well!?!? SOOO aside from the obvious coil, plug and wire, what should be my first steps to reviving this beast!!!!! it really is overall very clean, just slightly neglected over the last few years!! and also where is the best place, or should i say cheapest place, to get a coil and wire for a PUCH!? thanks for alllllll the help, i will try and attach a photo or two of her!!!!

-thanks, tom

1118083628_dsc02918.jpg

Re: '78 Puch NEWPORT ????

i would check the trans oil and the top end and i have a coil off on my 78 newpot that is good selling it off as parts because the connecting rod broke

yes that is a newport, and it does look quite nice. If your suspicion is correct, and there is rust in the cylinder, it could be disasterous. Take the top end apart and carefully check that out.

I would clean the gast tank of the rust before attempting to fire it up. Then work your way down from the gas tank: petcock, fuel line, carburetor, cylinder/piston/gaskets, and then the transmission fluid and all that jazz. A rusty gas tank will quickly clog a freshly cleaned carburetor.

Hey ben, how and where do you check the TRANS OIL??

Pete how do you recomend i CLEAN the tank??? what is the best way to go about this??

Ok so i am certain that i found the drain plug and filler cap for trans oil!! but what kind of oil do you use?? is just 90 w gear oil ok?? or is there something different to use?? Also i took the top end off and took a look in there, doesnt look to bad, but how do you get the piston to move on the puch??? i thought just peddling did that, but apparently not. And also what is the black lever on the left handle near the break lever??? thanks

ok the black lever on the left is the engagement clutch handle when you pull it in and pedal the motor turns over did you get a coil yet?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account