rust will be the death of me

hello fellow peders, is there any solution out there that can dissolve rust or help remove it. i could just sand it off but its on the rims and would be very hard to do.

Re: rust will be the death of me

I lubed my rust areas up with penetrating rust-inhibiting oil then scrubbed it out with a tooth brush, when i was done I slapped some chrome protector on it. This was done last year before the winter and the rust hasn't come back yet so give it a try.

Navel jelly and a tooth brush should work.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

naval jelly is in deed the shiznite, however if you are too lazy and just want to stop the rust, you can use this other stuff....forgot what its called...which "sticks to rust" and forms like a polyeurathane (hard plastic) shell over the rust and i believe covers up the color...dunno...prevents more rust.

Do you remember where you bought it from?

i used engine de-greaser from autozone, and a wire brush. Works magic.

where did you get the chrome protector?

Black Magic Wheel Polish from Canadian Tire.

But you're from America so I guess you could look for some Mothers Liquid Chrome Polish or Black Magic at Autozone or Autobarn. Personally I prefer the Black Magic because it stands up to washing better than the Mother's brand.

ANOTHER THING YOU CAN TRY IS A PRODUCT CALLED POR-15 I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR YEARS ON VOLKSWAGEN FLOORBOARDS AND GAS TANKS. THE STUFF IS INCREDIBLE. YOU CAN BUY IT AT JUST ABOUT ANY AUTOMOTIVE RESTORATION SHOP.

To get off surface rust try steel wool #0000, available at wal-mart for $3. Works magic. Then I use Autosol cream. It's pricey but gets a good shine.

I've heard after you shine up your chrome you should wax, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account