tomos hard start

ok i have a 95 targa lx. I recently replaced the cylander with another stock one i had around (exhaust studs were stripped and this was easier) after i put it on i realized it was scored. the moped starts pertty easily when its cool but can easily take 5 or 10 minutes when its warm. It also sounds terrible and and usually wont go faster than 30 or 35 with a bullet exhaust and .53 jet.

I started premixing my gas to keep it from getting worse and ordered an airsal kit to replace the scored piston and clyander.

Does anyone know how i can atlest get it starting easier till i get the kit?

Re: tomos hard start

question would be if it's not starting due to hot-engine-friction or due to carburetor adjustments.

you say it starts "pretty" easily when cold? What's that mean exactly..

A lot of bikes including mine, start reliably on the first half-kick.

it could be a combination of things.. first try something.. get that bike really hot and stop.. see if it's hard to start. If so, spray a squirt of Starter Fluid into the carb's intake (or in the spark plug hole and replace the plug)). If it fires up immediately you got carb trouble.

If it only starts after a few minutes of cooling down (even with starter fluid) something may be wrong with that cylinder / piston.. maybe clearance is too little.. maybe the rings got problems.. who knows.. could be anything mechanical.

by pretty easy i mean 2 or 3 kicks. I know alot of bikes start Way easier than this. If the bike is real hot and ive just killed it, itll start on the first kick

now im lost.. first you said

_the moped starts .... but can easily take 5 or 10 minutes when its warm_

and now:

_If the bike is real hot and ive just killed it, itll start on the first kick_

Do you have a hard-starting problem? If so, when is it hard to start.. It won't start when "warm" but starts ok when "hot"?

i dont know if this is your problem but you shouldnt run a lx with a bullet with only a 53 jet

ill clear things up. the initial start. after its been sitting for a few hours is pretty easy.

If its been running for a few minutes, and i kill it, itll start up right away if i try imediatly.

If its been running for a few minutes, then i kill it and let it sit for a little while, itll take forever.

And what jet should i use with a bullet? ive got a 60 lying around somewhere if thatll be ok, I was going to use either that or a 58 after i installed the kit

_If its been running for a few minutes, then i kill it and let it sit for a little while, itll take forever_

OK.. might be slight carb-fuel leakage into the engine .. not a constant leak or a bad leak.. might only leak for a couple minutes and then stop leaking.

During the time the warm engine is sitting for a while, fuel leaks into the crankcase. You then have to pedal like hell for a long time to clear out the extra fuel. During this time the plug gets wet-fouled as the carb continues to deliver more fuel while cranking, making things worse..

Finally, after a few minutes of kicking the hell out of it, excess fuel is cleared out, the mixtue strength is just about normal and the engine starts.

Try this:

Do whatever it takes to cause the no-start problem. Pull the spark plug and examine it's tip. If it's wet with fuel the carb could be leaking... not an external leak but an internal leak.. fuel puddles somewhere or trickles into the engine while it sits around.

that sounds like the problem. I dont have a sparkplug wrench so ill have to wait and borrow someones. Assuming this is the problem how do i fix it? and is it gonna keep happening after i install the kit?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account