I was riding home the other day, doing about 45-50k/h when, with a bang, I lost power and slowed to a reluctant stop. Luckily I was only a few blocks away from home instead of an 8km walk pushing a dead moped!
On inspection, I found that the screw holding what appears to be the CDI unit had sheared off, and the unit was floating free, with a wire detached. I'm assuming it's the CDI, as it has two small detachable wires, and the lead to the top of the spark plug coming out of it, please correct me if I'm wrong!
There seems to be petrol getting to the engine, and the finger-in-the-hole compression test is okay, so hopefully it's nothing mechanical. I spark-tested, but the pissy little spark I was rewarded with was less than satisfactory. Can the CDI have shorted somewhere and blown up on me? Electric start and all other electrics appear to be okay. Service history includes recently having a top-end rebuild, new rollers, new drive belt and the muffler de-baffled due to major blockage.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mellack the Rideless :(