QT50 poor brake performance

Andy Baker /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Well I'm here in NYC and the QT is running great, but the brakes are really not doing all that well. I replaced the brakes last year and I've only run it like 50 miles since then, but here's the problem, and I want to know if anybody's done anything like this before...

The insides of the drums were REALLY pitted up from years of improper storage, but I just threw new pads in and said screw it. Well now I tighten, and they dont' work and they get worse and the pad goes away - I fugured the insides of the drum were SO rough that they were eating the pads, and that seemed to be the case.

SooooOO I de-spoked the front hub and thew it in the lathe and bored it out about an additional 0.015" which got rid of 99% of the rust, but performance still sucks.. Of course I don't have much pad left, so I TIG welded a steel shim on to each pad where it contacts that little rotating cam. I re-spoked it fine, really true now. Brakes are Better, but I think I still need new pads.

HAS ANYBODY turned this style of brake drum and what were the results? 15 grand isn't much to remove if you ask me, so do people think it's just a matter of new pads? I also know the rear drum needs it too...

Anybody got thoughts?

Andy Baker

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  QT50 poor brake performanceTopic by: Andy Baker Andy Baker 06/05/05 01:11AM
  Re: QT50 poor brake performanceRe: j j 06/16/05 09:31AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account