reasons for carb flooding?

my,batavus keeps flooding the carb and running out the vent on the float chamber.......ive cleaned it , tested the float, even put the float in the seat and blown through the top where the banjo bolt is....didnt let the air through.....i was going to replace the jet soon with a larger 1 but i dont know now..........does anyone have any suggestions?,,,,,,,,,,,it literally squirts gas out the float bowl vent.......maybe the float is hanging up? if the carb isnt 100% completely level will that happen?also if my reed valve was leaking a little bit , would it cause enough backpressure to force gas out the carb vent?when the motor was running?

Re: reasons for carb flooding?

maybe someone else can explain this better...but IMO shit that leaks causes shit to happen, seal that stuff up. Where is this float bowl "vent"?

The carburetor's float bowl vent is a passage that vents to the atmosphere, and is set at a level well above that of the fuel in the float bowl. Without a working bowl vent, a gravity-feed carb may starve of gas, or overfill and flood.

If the bowl is flooding, gas may pour from the vent. The only fix is to correct any problems with the inlet needle & seat. I've also seen situations where a plugged vent caused the carb to flood directly into the cylinder, with no external evidence.

Maybe the float needle seal is bad?

" I’ve also seen situations where a plugged vent caused the carb to flood directly into the cylinder, with no external evidence." Its worse when its on a four stroke and you check the oil its like "oh theres were all the gas in the tank went". Been there done that.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

i cleaned it again, and reassembled it.....Im gonna try 1 more time.....if it doesnt work, Im going to order a new dellorta from moped junkyard, they said they have 1 that will work, im looking at around 100 dollars for the carb and new cables, but even new gaskets and a needle seat/float chamber cover and a float and shipping for the old carb are like 60 or more for everythingand that dont guarantee its gonna fix it , so I guess it isnt too bad a deal ..since i only have 50 in the moped and title , and I know it did run good before the carb started messing up...........I guess it wont be too bad an investment

Personaly I would rebuild the old one, but thats just me.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Could your float possibly be in upside down?

float is right side up..........i just reinstalled it and it is like a jetstream squirting out the float chamber vent...........while the bike is running....its idling high and bogging down.it wont go over 15 mph........................its definitely getting wayyyyyy too much fuel........could a bad reed valve be causing back pressure to come back and push the gas back up around the float? or would it not run at all if the reed valve was bad?oh and gas pours out the vent when i turn the gas on and the motor isnt running... I can take the cover off the chamber and put the float tip inthe seat and blow and it doesnt seem to be leaking......I really dont want to replace the carb, im just really disgusted right now, and it seems like my easiest repair.....Ill probly just bitch some more and try another idea......im open to any cheap ideas right now......anybody?

If fuel is jetting out of the vent, then the float & valve are not working at all. It's not a marginal situation; for some reason, it's just not doing anything.

My guess is that something is causing the float to bind when you reassemble the carb, or the float is sunk. Empty the carb of fuel, then shake it up & down. can you hear and feel the float moving freely?

If the float is out of the carb, put it in a cup of gas. Does it float, or sink?

You're missing something major here.. and just throwing money & parts at the problem is not the way to deal with it.

carb chambers clean, float rattles up and down when ya shake it....carb was bolted on level....float floated when left for 20 mins floating in a coffee can of gas.......i ran a piece of fine copper wire through every orifice in the carb..by all intents and purposes it shouldnt leak and it should run fine.......even cleaned the little screen filter......Im at my wits end.......as soon as ya turn the gas on it starts leaking out the venthole ..maybe the float is just worn out.........

its definitely a float prob like u said......

Ok.

With the float bowl removed, but the carb still on the bike, pick up lightly on the float until you feel the needle valve close. Now turn on the fuel, and see if any comes through. Play with the float and see if you can turn the flow on & off reliably.

The flow should stop when the float is parallel with the bottom of the carb body. If not, there should be an adjustment arm on the float, which you can carefully bend to correct it.

The system is simple - a needle, a seat, a float and a float pivot.

If everything is intact, and you can control the fuel by raising & lowering the float, then you need to check the weight of the float on a scale. Floats can absorb gas over time, and this will completely throw off the fuel level in the bowl.

Keep at it.. you're closing in on the problem.

its not that style of carb.its the encarne with a free floating float..round float looks like it has a nail through it http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/encarne.html...no pivot point....and the float chamber is part of the carb body....I emailed mopedjunkyard and they said i need a new float and carb top..........and it would cost me 43 in parts......they said thats the only cure for that leak.....but I still dont understand why it doesnt leak air when i hold it against the seat and blow through the banjo fitting.......im still debating spending 89 for a new delorta instead cuz im gonna be pissed if it still leaks after spending 43 ..............decisions decisions

Doh.. for some reason I had it in my head that this was a regular Bing, not the Encarwi. I see it uses a float like a Gurtner; not the best design ever.

I wish it was .it would make my life a lot simpler.........i can work on that kind there some adjustment there...this 1 is either work or not work kind of carb...........and Im real leery bout buying 50 dollars worth of parts when these ones seal well float and appear otherwise good.......I m gonna decide by next week how I want to go........Maybe go with the dellorta carb.......I got a 25 mph carb on it now, and if i change the sprocket and play with the jets on the dellorta, I might be able to enhance the performance a bit........if i fix the old 1 im still stuck with a 25 mph carb............believe me if it was a 10 to 20 dollar fix.........id do it in a heartbeat but for 50 more i can buy a performance style carb....anyone familiar with the dellortas?are they decent carbs?

Those Encarne(Encarwi) carbs are JUNK. The floats in them always get just a little gas in them, and then they will do exactly what you say. I know from experience, because my 1980 Bullet has one on it, and a few other older Tomos' I had had that carb as well. All I do to keep mine from leaking, is shut the fuel off while the motor is still running, wait a few secs for the idle to go up just a little, and then shut the ped off. Works very well, and better than paying 30 bucks or whatever for a float. Oh, and what size jet is in your Encarwi?

Yes, Dellorto carbs are very good. Much better than any Encarwi. I need to get jets for mine, so I can put it on my Tomos.

that would be fine if she just leaked when she was off , but she leaks like a sieve whether shes running or not and she will end up catching on fire if i drive her that way............i dont know what size jets it has, but the previous owner bought it new and said its always done 22 to 26 mph and it has a sticker on the frame that says its designed to run 25 so i figure its a 25 mph bike..........I think Im going to go with the dellorta............moped junkyard said it should work fine.......how do i find what the jet size is? its supposed to have like a 54 in i t i think

I'll be very interested in your choice. I have been going through the same steps, same problems and same thoughts about taking a hammer to it. Please post which way you choose and the results

Smitty Smith /

Skywriter4973158@aol.com

To: Skywriter4973158@aol.com

Subject: ?

Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:24 PM

Jeff,

I personally despise the encarwi carb...but, I've never had any luck replacing the Encarwi with a Delorto carb, because as you have been told, yes you will have to "shim" the intake manifold to fit the Delorto. It is possible, and can be done, but it's not just a simple swap, unfortunately. If you can get parts to rebuild the Encarwi carb, that would probably be the simplest route. Also, please let me know from where you can obtain rebuild parts for the Encarwi carbs...as I may need to rebuild one myself one day.

PS, tried to email response, but kept getting it back.

Thanks!!!

Robert "Smitty" Smith

SmC mopeds and Customs Club

502 2nd Avenue North

Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

(843) 445 - 9205

(843) 445 - 9171

"SmC website": http://mysite.verizon.net/resp2i21/

"SmC forum": http://smcmopeds.6.forumer.com/index.php

Hey smitty, thanks for your response... my email is Skywriter4973158@aol.com......moped junkyard carries some of the rebuild parts................they do carry the float chamber tops, and the float and gaskets and the jets well some of them....................im going to rebuild the one i have I guess..............not much choice.....i.....I did bid on a dellorta on ebay to experiment with, and Ill probably have the mechanics shop where I work make me a custom manifold, the main thing is matching the plate, welding a nipple on should be a breeze...........but im not doing anything till I have a dellorta in my hands so I can make sure I get the pipe size right.........my neighbor has a moped at his house with a solo engine, and they used a piece of copper pipe and rubber tubing to adapt it to fit, but we have yet to hear it run

Smitty Smith /

In my opinion, the Delorto is probably the simplest of all the Moped carbs. Delorto parts are still readily available too. But, generally, and unfortunatly, most of the time a Delorto carb will not just bolt right on an intake that the Encarwi carb came off of.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account