Err, plug wire resistance?

Anthony K /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Bill, I cut the stock plug wire off my 50V because I thought it had been permanently crimped onto the plug (this was before I realized that the plug top could be unscrewed.) I bought an automotive plug wire with the rubber boot, intending to solder it to the half of the plug wire left attached to the condensor. I was quite surprised to find that it contained no wire, only a resistive plastic film, so I ended up just using the boot soldered to some 18 gauge wire. That worked fine (until I killed my engine), and would only have had a resistance of a fraction of an Ohm. Do you need resistance there? Because I'm pretty sure the stock plug wire (on my bike) was just copper wire as well. Maybe the 50V's condensor has that resistance built in? What's it good for-- limiting the current drawn from the magneto?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account