First light (Columbia/Solo)

Legendre /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Got the Bosch double-ended puller from Chris@MWH today; nicely made tool, looks like it will outlast my use. I'd prefer that it had a roller contact, but so it goes - it still works.

Took the mag rotor off of the Columbia, and got a chance to inspect things - not as bad as I had initially assumed. Points were nasty, but a little filing & solvent got them making acceptable contact again. I don't know how others test points, but I use an ohmmeter. If they are more than 2-3 tenths of an Ohm, they are not good - in my way of thinking. Anyway, they are pretty badly worn, and will need to be replaced sometime soon. For now, they are OK.

Just like that, the spark was back. Looks big & bright.

Couple of shots of the PB carb cleaner into the intake manifold (there's no carb on it) and it started and ran on the first kick. No need to pedal it, just a good stout kick-over on the stand. Did it twice again, and so far, the motor sounds solid. This is a good sign, and very satisfying.

Time now to apply for a plate & title. But next, I need to assemble a fuel system for it. Rusty tank, no petcock or line, plugged up carb, and a broken throttle cable. Once again, I'm amused that another of the bike's systems is broken in pretty much every possible way. Cheers to EK for supplying the needed parts!

More to come. Thanks for reading.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account