1979 Puch starting problem

Okay, I don't know if this is normal or not, since I've never done it before, but while trying (unsuccessfully) to start my moped today, I noticed that if I flicked the engine switch to "off" and tried to start it, all the electricals would work (my horn's stuck on and I turned my light on to see if it would work) but the engine wouldn't run. Then, I put the engine switch in the "on" position and tried it again, but the horn and light didn't come on. Is this normal?

Also, I have no idea why it won't start, the fuel lines are clear and the wiring seems alright if the horn goes and the light turns on, right? When I try to test for spark, I take the cap off, and the plug out, and then put the plug in the cap and hold it to the bike, trying to kickstart it, right? And I should see a spark if it's gapped correctly? What if I don't see a spark? What could this mean, (other than that it's not correctly gapped) especially considering that my headlight and horn work?

Any help would be appreciated!

-Mike

Re: 1979 Puch starting problem

Leon Swarmer /

MIke, my 77 Puch doesn't have a battery so it's different..BUT. yes you should see a spark if you hold the plug grounded and spin the negine. but I bet you've told us your problem. That horn should not be working unless you are pushing on the button. It can suck a lot of joice in a hurry.

check the horn switch carfully. look for shorts. then the bike my start. have you checked your taillight/brakelight bulb?

unless your gap is WAAAAY off, it should spark even if gapped wrong.

Leon

Mine doesn't have a battery either, just when I try to kickstart it (or hold down the clutch and run with it to start it) the horn goes crazy and the light comes on (when I have it on) but the engine never starts. I don't know if it might be compression, tomorrow I'm going to test that, but I was hoping it might be something easy like "oh, you have these wires crossed..." hahaha. If I bypass the horn by soldering/electrical taping the two wires that go into it together, would that maybe help my starting problem?

-Mike

Leon Swarmer /

don't bother with the compression test yet.

you do have an electical problem.

DON"t connect the horn wires together. that 's give you a dead short.

unplug them and tape them if you want to try something easy... it won't be a cure though.

Does your taillight come on when you spin it over??

Leon

Smitty Smith /

The Puch horn circuit is actually _short-circuited_ when the horn is _not sounding_, and when you press the horn button, it _un-shorts_ the circuit to _sound_ the horn. I know this sounds crazy as a football-bat, but that's the way the wiring is set up. I've made jumper wires to install between the horn lead wires to bypass the horn itself. This does not cause any problems with the electrical system. I also suggest checking the engine "kill" switch, and the wires leading to it. If yours has the wiring junction block that holds the wires in place with set screws, then check those connections as well.

Hope this helps!

;^)

Smitty

Yeah I noticed that the last time I tried to figure out this electrical situation... ahaha, in my frustration with it, I clipped the horn switch wire, and it still sounded, causing me to come to this realization... hahaha. So I re-soldered it to the horn switch hoping that'd solve my problem (last year sometime) and it never did. But, you say that you can build something to bypass the horn? How would I go about doing this myself? (If I need a horn, I'll buy an airhorn or something.) And, I will be checking out the wiring harness thing tomorrow probably, summertime at dusk in Massachusetts is a bad recipe for ridiculous bugbites hahaha.

Thanks!

-Mike

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account