Bike takes FOREVER to start

Will a bike thats running too lean be REALLY hard to start. By that I mean about 5 minutes worth of kicking and playing with the idle screw on the carb. I've been through the check list, it gets gas, theres spark, compression, etc.

It will kinda start for 1 or 2 secs then die sometimes. If Im quick and I get it WOT it will eventually run, but it takes forever to get to this point. Runs decently but I wont drive it anywhere till it'll start within the first few kicks.

I had always thought running really lean would make it easier to start.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Bike takes FOREVER to start

on the contrary, running really rich makes it easier. What do you mean lean? what is the bike getting less of? when you "choke" in order to start the bike easy, you restrict pretty much almost all the air it gets and the engine runs on gas...Normally gasoline does not run the engine, it primes the explosion and ignites oxygen which actually runs the engine thus if you don't give it any gas, or you don't restrict the air at the beginning it won't start real well. Also, you might have some seal problems, or check to see if gas is shooting through the intake of your carb.

You may also have one of the idle air passages blocked.

It's tempting, when you are trying to get things to start, to try everything at once. DONT! you won't find your problem.

Keep cool and do one thing at a time- If you have to re-build the carb 20 times, that's just what you have to do.

What do you mean by gas shooting throught the intake of the carb? By lean I mean that the plug is fairly white when I do a chop. And when I do get it started its a bit tricky, such as if I dont pop the chocke and give it almost WOT it wont start. Just a lil extra air makes it die. I hope that makes sense. My new jets just arrived this morning so I will try them and get back to yall.

Thanks,

Josh

Try starting fluid

Some peds are a bitch to start because they have sat for so long they have to blow all the junk out of the bottom end.

take the pipe off and run it for 5 seconds or so.

ittl clean it right out.

One of the CanAm dirtbikes i just got going needed to be run with out the pipe at first. Cleaned all the storage oil, old gas residue and god knows what else out of the motor.

Now i have the pipe back on but i have to take the carb back off because i just realized that i put one of my 250 carbs on and its a 175. Explains not reving high and smoking like a James bond smoke screen.

i know what he is talking about since ive been doing similar things to start my ped and i can almost guarentee that the carb is sucking in extra air from somewhere, spray carb cleaner around the area and turn the engine over, see if you see bubbles...tighten down your intake manifold bolts, adjust your carb, rebuild it whatever...im damn near positive its your carb be it no choke, improper air backpressure or leaks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account