Peugeot 103 VS Fuel valve broken? Need help.

Hello all--I was hoping some of the experts and experienced riders could help me out. The fuel shut off valve on my Peugeot VS 1971 moped just spins around and around(instead of shutting off)--stripped perhaps??--and no fuel seems to be getting through. What parts do I need to replace to fix it and how would I go about fixing it? Where would I get the parts? Am new at this and would appreciate any help, thanks. Frank.

Peugeot 103 VS Fuel valve broken? Need help.

Could be a few things. Has your fuel valve ever worked, or is this moped project that you are just starting on? If it hasn't run in ages, most likely it is clogged and your rubber ring inside is gone.

You can get a new fuel valve at www.mopedwarehouse.com. Or you can just take apart the one you have now and clean it out and fabricate a new rubber ring.

Re: Peugeot 103 VS Fuel valve broken? Need help.

Hi Tom--

Thanks for your post :) The 'ped was running perfectly (and has been for the past two weeks since I bought it) until I went to turnn the fuel shutoff valve to the off position and it just kept going around and around with stopping and locking. This is my first moped ever and I'm not even sure which parts I should be ordering.

go HERE D/load and study the Peugeot manuals.. might not be exactly the right year but few among us are so blessed.. at least you can gain insight into how the Peugeot-type-moped-things are supposed to work.

Petcock repair can be really tough. Aside from finding the exact parts you need or another petcock that fits, replacing it with some other type of shutoff valve (perhaps inline) is often the only sensible choice. Bring the petcock to a local outdoor equipment/lawnmower repair shop and see what they suggest. They may have parts or can offer options.

Thanks Tom and joew for all your help! Is it really hard to remove the petcock (i.e., lots of little tiny pieces rolling around, difficult to access, etc.)? I am disabled and my hand don't work so well .. any tips or suggestions? Would it cost a lot to have someone else take it off?

Cheers :)

Frank.

So far the petcock doesn't show signs of external leakage? The bike was running fine until you turned the valve.. This seems to indicate the rubber seal inside had rotted away and finally broke into pieces when the valve moved.. a piece is now blocking flow.

Depending on it's construction details the petcock might be difficult to work on. Dis/reassembly without removing the petcock from the tank is tricky. And in this case there's still fuel in the tank.. if this fuel isn't somehow drained beforehand it's gonna start pouring out as you loosen things.

There's usually a strong spring that maintains petcock sealing pressure. A couple of parts need be held in position against the spring pressure while it's small cover screws are reinserted.. The last time i messed with one i was thankful for having least two good hands.. more woulda been better..

That valve sounds like a candidate for replacement. It is likely fastened onto the tank by a double-nut with both left and right hand threads. This allows you to tighten the petcock while positioning it's lever conveniently outwards. If this is understood the removal and replacement of the entire unit is not too challenging.

I've never priced such work and have no idea about cost. A competent mechanic in some small engine repair shop should be able to replace it in a few minutes..

The bike (including the fuel shut off valve) was working perfectly until my leg slipped as I was shutting the valve off causing me to fall forward and put extra pressure on the valve possible stripping the threads on the screw. By the sounds of your excellent and helpful description of petcock disassembly, it would definitely seem better to take it to a local shop than to try to dissemble it myself (especially as I've never taken anything apart before in my life). Do you think a motocycle shop would be able to take it apart for me? There is one not too distant and I think I can push the 'ped at least that far.

Thanks for all your wonderful help :)

Frank.

sure.. make some phone calls first to save yorself some pedal-power... if i was you i'd try to hook up with someone who fixes mopeds.. these old bikes are always having problems.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account