Link - Cleaning 2 stroke exhaust

Dave King /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I found the method and mixtures off of the web site I link to at the bottom of the page, the method calls for pure lye, as I was unable to get lye in my neighborhood easily, I used powdered draino (60% lye) .

My first step was to calculate how much my exhaust would hold, in my case it was just under a liter, then I took the ratios and mixed accordingly.

BE CAREFUL lye heats as it reacts, use a metal container if possible, plastic will melt, make sure you are in a well ventilated area (I almost died!) and WEAR GOGGLES and GLOVES, long sleeve shirts etc...

leave it overnight (longer the better), pour out the next morning, and rince thouroghly. the first time you put it back on the ped, you should see little puff of white smoke out of the exhaust , and it'll be a noticable "put, put, put...."

for fun if you want to see the difference, spray some carb cleaner into the air intake prior to cleaning, observe the exhaust smoke (it'll be white) and then do the same after cleaning...

I have to do this again, my pipe had 7000 km without ever being cleaned, jelly bean size chunks of carbon/oil came out of mine...

Good luck

http://www.vjmw.org/workshop/exhaust.htm

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account