tomos engine wont start

ok i bought a tomos a3n engine on ebay. it didnt have rings so i put new rings on, and it has spark but it just wont start, the carb is totally fine to because i tested it on another bike, and i made sure all the wires were together, but their is one weird think i noticed was when i pedal forward the sprocket does not move, like i couldn't ride it like a bike because i wouldnt go anywhere, but when i kick it backward to start it it sounds like any bike thats trying to be started, like it sounds good it just wont turn over.

Any help is appreciated

Dan

Re: tomos engine wont start

Sounds like something is borke/missing in th tranny. Take the cover off, and look for the starting chain on the "peddle shaft." It looks like a bicycle chain from a bigger sprocket to a smaller one.

yeah i did that and the chain is fully on both sprockets and is not broke

the transmission needs to be able to rotate fowards otherwise the back wheel will be stuck on a direct drive to the engine, if so, you won't be able to start it since the engine doesn't have enough power to turn over the wheel. Make sure your clutches are in working condition. Once you get this figured out you can move onto the other engine problems.

No its like this, when i kick the engine to turn it over the sprocket moves forward, but when i try to pedal the bike its like the pedals move forwar really smoothly, but it doesnt move the sprocket. like i can pedal forwad but i dont go anywhere.

BUMBP

something is not engaged or a sprocket of some sort is missing in there...its gonna be hard to figure out without a working transmission next to you to figure it out....

you can try the diagrams but they are damn complicated

god i love having a second lx as a parts/practice bike

alrite thanks

I had the same problem with my Tomos. I found that the 26 tooth chain sprocket was stripped and the shaft that the sprocket fits on was all buggered up. I replaced the sprocket with a new one and cleaned up the splines on the shaft with a dremel and file and now it seems tight and works fine. DT

bumb

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account