Ghetto Gurtner carb repair

I thought someone might be interested in seeing the modification I made to the throttle slide of my 50V's carburetor... I (or the previous owner) had sheared the little nub off that keeps it (the slide) from spinning. I found out that J-B Weld is impervious to gasoline, so I Dremeled a channel into the slide and J-B'd a small piece of sheet metal in there, and filed it until it fit. Here are the results:

Now the piece that rides in the keyway is much longer, so hopefully this one will stay put.

Re: Ghetto Gurtner carb repair

Heh, that's a crafty little repair. Nice work, hope it goes well..

If not, I think I'll have a spare gurtner slide available soon. If you can, measure the exact dimensions of yours (including the angle and length of the cutaway) before you put it back together.

Let me know, and I'll try to match it up. But I hope that fix works well, it's not like you didn't try.

Legendre, thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on it. The only scraps I could find to make the key out of were steel, so I'm kind of nervous about this one breaking off and getting in the crankcase.

I see you've already fielded at least two questions today about leaking Gurtner carbs-- well, after re-assembling mine, guess what? Gas was pouring out around the main jet. I'll try the teflon tape solution, although you can't wrap it around a threaded part.... the only threads are _above_ the jet's inlet holes. Strange design.

Anthony,

You spotted the weak point on that jet; the threads are not part of the sealing mechanism. If you look at the jet, there is a tapered portion just above the hex portion on the bottom. The taper meets a complimentary taper in the carb body, and this is the seal - soft brass into softer potmetal (well, some kind of low alloy).

You could wind a little teflon around the top of the hex portion, so that it overlaps onto the seal area. Just enough to act like a little packing in that joint.

On mine, I did something kind of risky, but I got away with it. Basically, lubed the threads on the jet with grease, then torqued it hard, broke it loose, and repeated it several times. Then cleaned it all up, and finally retorqued the jet. This seems to have helped reform the seal, as it fixed my (tiny) leak.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account