So i tried cleaning my carb and now it leaks

I have a motobecane v50 and i tried cleaning the carb. i took it all apart and put it all back together but now its leaking. i dont know where i went wrong un less it has to do with the float thingy. i didnt notice how that was put together when i took it apart. i have it pointy side up. with the rubber oring on the top side. is that right?

Re: So i tried cleaning my carb and now it leaks

Yes, that's right.. so where is it leaking? Turn off the fuel, wipe it down well, then turn the fuel back on. Find the source of the leak.

Leaks are a common issue after a carb cleaning, if you didn't do a full rebuild. And even then, sometimes they leak anyway :-)

brake cleaning spray on a rag is good for instantly drying gas and oil so ya can find leaks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,spray it on a rag and wipe the part clean and it will be dry in about 10 seconds,,,,,,,,

god i dont even know the names of all the parts in there. anyone got a good picture thats labled and i could tell you where the gas is coming from. i see it coming out of the main chaimber from the little whole that goes to the chamer with the float in it.

Stuck float? or maybe it didn't go back together right.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

yes u prolly have a stuck float and its running out of the top of the bowl and the bowl gasket is bad

BlAiR

is your float needle valve still good and pointy on the end. I know on my yamaha qt50 mycarb kept doing the same and the needle valve was no good and didn't have a point on the end try a new needle valve

The fuel inlet needle on the Gurtner is integral to the float itself. Simply a brass rod that runs through the float, and has a point on one end. The seat is integral to the float bowl cover (I think I've said this before).

If it's not sealing up, you're looking at replacing both parts - and they're not cheap to buy.

It might be possible to renew the seal, though. Some fine abraisive like a polishing compound in the needle/seat, then rotate the float to lap the joint; similar to lapping a valve seat. I've done this, and had it work fine, on Japanese carbs. Never tried it on a Gurtner.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account