Puch leaking gas and more

I just bought this 1980 puch maxi and it seems to run ok. The problems are as follows. With the fuel valve open and the engine not running gas drips from multiple points on the engine like crazy. There is some rust inside the gas tank. I have a manual from my old tomos bullet, that unfortunately was stolen. Any expertise would be great.

Re: Puch leaking gas and more

I just helped a friend fix a Puch of roughly the same vintage. His float in the carb was no longer floating and that meant that the gas would flood out of the carb. He bought a new float for the Bing carb and his problems were over. I found that putting dish detergent, water and a bunch ( I mean a bunch) of nuts and shorts bolts in the tank and SHAKING vigorously got rid of a lot of the rust. Then use a fuel filter and be prepared to replace it a few times while the gook works its way out. Hope this helps.

By float do you mean the float needle? The tomos really needed very little maintenance while I had it so I've never had to disassemble the entire engine on one of these before and I'm not very knowledgeable about parts and such.

Thanks

Would change work maybe. I mean like pennies and nickles and dimes to clean out the rust. I got lots of change but not lots of bolts.

Where did he buy the new float?? I tried adjusting one of my carb floats and it is maddening.. I can't seem to get it back to the perfect angle that allows the correct amount of fuel in without overfilling it to the point where it leaks.. I want to but a replacement.. adjusting those things is very tricky! lol

to adjust your float, just put the carb upside down and make the bend the float so it is parrallel. i had the same problem with my puch. the float wouldn't float in gasoline. it sank and so the bowl filled up and caused it to overflow if i wasnt running the engine.

dave

First off I highly recommend getting the service manual for your moped. The Puch manual made fixing the carb 1000 times easier. It turned out that both the float needle and float gasket had worn out. Does anyone know if I should reset the idle or anything before I put the carb back on? I was planning on dismantling as much of the engine as I could with my basic tools and cleaning them with fuel.

don't bother touching the idle screwuntil your engine is at operating temperature, just let the engine idle there for about 5 minutes then adjust the screw

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account