When to clean carb? (TFR)

I have a 2003 kinetic TFR with 403 miles on it. Should i clean the carb soon? Where is the carb, how do i clean it, and what does it do????

Thanks yall!

Re: When to clean carb? (TFR)

A carburetor is a device that accurately mixes fuel with incoming air. Only a certain ratio of fuel and air will burn correctly and provide good power under all the different speeds and conditions..

Carburetor cleaning is an abnormal maintainance thing.. not needed unless there's a problem. Carb problems are avoided by following the normal scheduled maintanance guides and tips for general care in the owner's manual..

The main thing is to keep the fuel system clean and maintain any filters. Dirt that gets into a carb might force you to take the carb off, disassemble it and clean it.. not a fun job and not easy. Older bikes are more likely to need it.

A bike with only a few hundred miles might be due for some things like tightening bolts and adjusting the drive belt or chain, and adjusting cables.. tire pressure.. etc. But unless there's a problem with how the engine starts or runs the carburetor can be safely ignored.

Gasoline goes bad and causes trouble if it's left in a tank and carburetor over the long winter... so things like proper storage preparation should be done to the bike.. and the bike's owners manual should include a list of such things.. maybe drain all fuel from the system and other related things. Otherwise someone's likely gonna have to clean the carb come Spring.

Study your manual.. learn it .. live it.. love it :)

Re: When to clean carb? (TFR)

Before you do anything, get the overhaul manual.

Also, go to the library and get some books on general engine theory to find out why/how engines work.

Do not take your carb apart. Your unit is too new to require it.

Joew's reply is right on as usual.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account