Vespa Ciao problems--adjusting points

I am currently in a bit of a bind, as I have fuel getting to the carb, I have plenty of compression, and I have spark (though it is not a huge spark, it is there). So I decided that I would check my points next. However, I cannot get a part off my bike in order to adjust the points. I have a hard time getting into the little viewfinder hole in the flywheel and I feel like I need more room to work with. I attached a picture to show the part I'm trying to free (the wheel that the belt attaches to).

Cheers,

Brennen

1117129348_img_1688.jpg

Re: Vespa Ciao problems--adjusting points

Here is a better look at the picture.

1117129675_img_1688.jpg

Bruce Wilkinson /

That backing plate and pulley should just pull straight off. It must be jammed on due to a burred edge or something rusted. Try easing it off with a lever after putting a drop of oil on the shaft. Don't use too much oil as there are starter clutch pads under that plate and you shouldn't get oil on the pad surfaces. There's a manual at www.mopedriders.org look in the moped repair section. Points setting is .015" bruce

Thanks Bruce. I got the clutch off and adjusted the points and reassembled everything, but I'm still not getting anything (ped will turn over with compression, but won't start up). Any other ideas? Gas is clean, carb is clean. Decent spark.

Cheers,

Brennen

Nathan Edwards /

Have you checked to see if the throttle slide is in the carb properly? With my Grande, I had a similar problem. Carb was clean, points were fine and had spark but didnt start. I checked and saw that the throttle slide was out a bit, fixed it and it fired right up. You can easily tell if this is the issue by twisting your throttle... Also, take out your sparkplug and put some carb cleaner or a little pinch of gas in there and try and start it up. If that works then you can eliminate a few items. Wish you the best!

Nato

Yep, the throttle slide is in the carb correctly. At least I think it is. the slide is adjusted so that there is a little tiny gap at the bottom of the carb jet (if you're looking at it from the side) when the throttle is at rest. Is this normal? Should there be no gap at all when the throttle is at rest?

Brennen

Bruce Wilkinson /

Are you sure you're getting a spark ? Check the tail light /brake light bulb. Some Ciaos won't run with a burnt out bulb. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

Is the decompression valve fully closing.? bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

If you think it may be the slide, turn the idle screw in to increase the revs. If it starts then back the screw off. bruce

Bruce,

The tail light looks good. I am sure that I'm getting spark. It isn't incredibly large and bright, but there is spark there (I recently bought a new spark plug). As far as whether or not the decompression valve is fully closing, it certainly seems like it. I took apart the front coil (where the spark plug attaches) and cleaned it out really well. The valve closes fully. It also doesn't open up very much when the lever is pulled (thoug the spring is fully compressed when I pull the lever).

The break light doesn't appear to be burn't out. Is there any way to test it? With the idle screw, what way should I turn it to begin with? Should I put it in all the way and then adjust it once (and if) the engine is nice and warm?

Thanks,

Brennen

Bruce Wilkinson /

If you have a volt/ohm meter you can test the bulbs to see if the filament is broken. The further you turn the idle screw in ,the more it opens the slide and the faster the engine will rev.If you can get it started, you can slow it down after the engine warms up.I'm not sure I understand what the symtems are??bruce

A couple of things

If you are getting spark, remove the spark plug and spray some starter fluid in the spark plug hole in the head and reinstall the plug and cap and try to see if it will try to start. If it does, you still have a clogged main jet in your carb.

If it is not a fuel problem you may need to replace the the points and condensor.

I got it working. Thanks for all of your help (and others). And thanks for that petcock, got good gas flow now.

Cheers,

Brennen

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account