Riddle me this

You think your a pro, well I got a question that needs answerin.

I am looking to buy this moped - A 1974 Jawa moped to be specific, its in mint shape, engine has compretion but it needs a new BLACK BOX. something about the electrisity being turned into spark. This box is pooched and it needs a new one. Can anybody tell me what this part is, what it does, and where I can find it.

thank you in advance

NATHAN

Re: Riddle me this

Nathan,

You're referring to what is called an 'ignition amplifier', and it's the heart of a transistorized ignition system.

The Jawas are unusual, in that they adapted a solid-state ignition very early on.

There may be more than one amplifier unit that was used on the Jawa. Make sure you know what you need before you go looking for it. I don't have a parts source for you.

Leon Swarmer /

Can you tell us more??? a 74 is very unlikely to have CDI.

Is a piece missing off the bike? crunched or what. You might be talking about the coil that takes low voltage and turns it to high voltage for the spark. It is generaally cylindrical with two or three little wires going to it and one fat wire going from it to the spark plug.

Leon

quote" It is generaally cylindrical with two or three little wires going to it and one fat wire going from it to the spark plug."end quote

Precisly, He thinks it is a 1974 but not sure. He said he got a part quote on it at around $80 bucks. I do beleive this is what he is refering to. The owner says the bike in in mint condition and everything is pro but this one black box. I got hime down to $400 dollars on the phone, CANADIAN or $308 US.

Nate

I'd avoid the Jawa unless you LOVE challenges. Electrical problems are common. Spare parts are rare. New parts are rare. Get an old Tomos ,Puch,Sachs, or Italian bike. don-ohio (:^)

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I read that Jawa was way ahead of every one with electronic ignition. Jim.

Yeah.....they were TOO far ahead apparently,because I've read a LOT of electronic problems posts on them. don-ohio

I have the perfect wiring diagram. Its the THYRISTOR UNIT that needs replacing, and another wire. New gas and shes good to go.

(2 stroke)

Leon Swarmer /

Then disregard my post on the coil..thyristor huh..I'm amazed on a '74. That will be a bear to find.

Leon

It could be the Ignition coil, Its all wired right i think but the Piston sounds really dry. It hasn't been run for a long time. It does some spark to the spark plug because if you pedal the bike and hold on to the wire it will shock you only a little. It needs more spark. Its very weak right now.

nate

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account