i got fuel but no spark

I disassembled and cleaned the carb on my batavus hs50, rinsed the tank as best i could, and added a inline filter...........I am now getting fuel.........I can grab the plug wire and kick her over and she bites me but good ...........but it doesnt appear to be putting out any blue arc at the plug.....what should i do next? check the gap on the points? and clean them? anyone know what the gap should be?

Re: i got fuel but no spark

You get a shock if you hold the plug wire? Evidently, the ignition is quite capable of generating and delivering energy.. Try a new spark plug.

that was a new plug......................maybe ill take a look at the points, it might just not be enough spark

i musta missed what the basic trouble is.. The bike won't start?

If so, there's a simple test to see if ignition is working.. Spray some Starter Fluid into the carb's intake (or through the plug hole) and attempt to start. It it runs for a moment, ignition would be ok, but no fuel is being delivered to the engine..

perhaps the quality of this _new_ plug isn't what it seems?

try another plug, i stick with NGK btw because they never let me down.

its getting fuel, the plug is wet with new fuel........the carb was just cleaned and is getting fuel to the cyl ,,,,,,,,It Might possibly be a bad new plug.......its a champion same as the one that was in it.................So if i get shocked when i grab the metal spark plug boot. It should have enough juice to fire the plug for sure?

and yeah 10-4 on the ngk spark plugs.........thats all i use in my motorcycle..............I was just at the auto parts store buying shit and handed him my old champion and he gave me the same thing..................maybe ill go pick up a ngk tomorrow

not "for sure" .. the ignition could be somewhat weak.. too weak to fire the plug under poor conditions.. A plug soaked with fuel is a poor condition.

But if the bike started with Starter Fluid i'd know ignition was adequate enough to produce some spark.

(don't allow the carb to flood the engine and re-foul the plug while testing.. drain the float bowl and turn off the petcock first)

If i also knew fuel was wetting the plug i'd try to fix that first. Then i'd be able to tell if ignition was also somewhat faulty or if it was ok..

Jason Luther /

i bought 5 peds. and not a one had the correct plug. find out what you need for sure first. keep _plugging_ along at it!. heh

How about a new spark plug cap? It is probably a screw on type. The contact up inside the old cap may be corroded and the plug isn't making proper contact.

Don Pflueger /

replace your plug, boot, and gap the points at .014"-.016"

there is a batavus service manual at www.mopedriders.org in the moped repair section.

Don Pflueger /

new doesnt always mean it works.

Don Pflueger /

the plug being wet does not mean its not sparking. a wet plug can be caused by a number of things.

bad crankseal

leaking cylinder base gasket

leaking head gasket

plugged exhaust

plugged exhaust port

plugged air filter

stuck reed/s

on a batavus, all these things are pretty common.

Don Pflueger /

theres nothing wrong with champion. i sell them. never had a bad new one in 15 years.

wahooooo points were corroded and gapped to like 40 thousands..........she runs now..........see other post........................

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account