Do I have this correctly??

Ok now according to this photo, the blue wire grounds to the points and either the red or black wire would provide power. So if I ground the blue wire to the coil and used the red or black wire on the positive of the coil, I should be able to bypass all other electronics and test for spark? Am I reading this correctly? Thanks for answers ahead of time.

1117000073_magneto_wiring_config.jpg

FINALLY SPARK OF HOPE!!

I bypassed all the wiring and saw my 1987 Motomarina Raven spark for the first time!! I'm overfilled with joy right now, as I know I finally saw spark, it gives me hope to keep working on this moped. The spark was beautiful, strong, and blue!! Once I get light bulbs for it, I can hopefully figure out the wiring and actually hear it run. YIPEE!

Re: FINALLY SPARK OF HOPE!!

hehe .. i know the feeling..

btw.. you could start it up now .. since all the other wiring is disconnected and you've got spark, you dont need bulbs.. just install the plug and let her rip.

If you've dismantled anything related to the bikes ability to safely and securely run the engine (and perhaps spin the rear wheel) put it back together.

but, as noted previously, you won't be able to shut the engine off electrically.. (all the switches are disconnected) So, be prepared to yank the spark plug wire off (with insulated pliers) or perhaps hold your hand over the carb's intake (cutting off air intake) to kill the engine.

Well I still need a new fuel valve for it, so until then, I won't be able to get it running. Unless I just spray some starting fluid down in it to see if it'll start. That way once the fluid runs out it'll stall on its own and I won't have to yank the plug wire off. So while I get a fuel valve, might as well grab the bulbs too. Will have to wait til next Wed to get all those things though. I'm just so excited!! I almost said the heck with it and take it to the shop, maybe I won't need too now.

i just did it the old school way and grabbed the wire and kicked her over and it shocked the shit out of me,,,,,,,,,I GOT JUICE

Lol, I'm not a big fan of pain. I'd rather test it appropriately and not shock the shit outta myself!!

Re: Do I have this correctly??

Don Pflueger /

yes i'm pretty sure you are correct. i think its the red wire you need to use.

Don Pflueger /

did you ever check your tail light bulbs?

Don Pflueger /

i would unplug the red wire from the coil. less of a chance of being shocked.

Don Pflueger /

just fasten a spark plug to the cylinder with an alligator clamp and hook the plug wire to it. then you can test for spark without being shocked.

Donp,

I already got it to spark nicely. I didn't touch any wiring when I checked it. But I did get a nice spark. I'm happy about that. Thanks to everyone on the forums who helped me figure out how to test for spark!! Yes all the bulbs are shot so I need all 3 new ones.

Don Pflueger /

the bulbs are the reason you didnt have spark. lol

Lol. I know, I figured as much. But I just wanted to make sure that the magneto was good also before I went and got new bulbs for it. Also have some things with the main wiring harness unhooked. Says in my book that it has "illuminated" speedo. Don't see where these wires hook yet, but I'll figure it out. Think they go to the speedo though somehow.

Don Pflueger /

always try the cheap easy things first. magnetos rarely go bad. the only real common problems are a bad condensor (but you'd still have spark), or dirty or misadjusted points. the wires for the speedo light should come out the bottom on the front of the speedo. but they have nothing to do with spark.

Those wires need to be hooked to make a complete circuit though right??? I'm not really sure on that fact. I bought a new coil for this moped. (I had too) the other one was broken. I got the chain reconnected and back on the ped. I got a fuel valve coming, and I was told that it may need new rings. I don't dispute this, as this moped has almost 8,000 miles on it!! Seems to have good compression though. I've gotten most of it put back together and it still will either need a rear brake cable or new brake pads (brakes aren't working and are as tight as they can go). I want to make sure it's up and running before I do the minor things though.

Don Pflueger /

no, the speedo light does not need to be hooked up to make a complete circuit to get spark. it is wired in parallel in the circuit with the headlight.

i dont know what type of brake setup is on your bike, but most of them you can remove the arm that the cable connects to, and remount it in a different position on the splined shaft and then readjust everything to get more life out of the brake pads. no sense spending money if not needed. but if the pads are grinding or squealing, then replace them.

As far as I can tell, there is no sound at all from the rear brakes. They seem to grip a little bit, but not much. I was afraid to adjust the arm because I don't want the brake to be too tight and stick or anything. I could adjust the arm and see if that helps. I do know that 2 of the grey wires that were confusing me at first, run to the two plug ins below the speedo. The other grey wire runs back to the rear brake light. So I guess if I just ground the rear brake light grey wire, everything should work alright. The other 2 grey wires don't seem to be connected into the main wiring harness and are bundled with the rear brake light ground wire. (an educated guess) The wires do not run down and intermingle with the rest of the wires and seem to be all on their own. It says in my book that the speedo is illuminated, but there doesn't seem to be a bulb for that anywhere and there isn't a place for the wires to plug in. I've had the speedo and headlight off and inspected them closely. I'll just have to wait and see if those wires really do affect anything once I get new bulbs in it, because I know now that it does spark (bypassed all the electronics) to test it out.

Angie, check your e-mail......I described the wiring best I could. The gray wires are all grounds that ground the bases of the bulbs(sides),not the center contact of the bulbs. The red wire is juice to the coil and kill switch. don-ohio (:^D

I checked my emails. I was out checking the wires for the moped and I got it to spark, so I decided just to put the spark plug in and peddle the moped to see what it sounds like when it's sparking and everything. The back wheel seems to be making a fuss about the clutch being engaged. I think it will either need the bearings tightened or a new back wheel. The front forks are also loose and I think it is missing a washer or something. I'll find out soon enough if it's gonna run. (About Wednesday or so)

Don Pflueger /

your speedo may have been changed and the new one may not be illuminated.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not really sure though. I checked most of my wiring with the email you sent, and everything is the same with what you have, except my wire coming out of the magneto is blue and not green. The wires that are on the plug ins are 2 grey and 1 is white. It looks to be the original speedometer though. I checked and there is no where for something to plug in (other than the main wire to the front wheel hub) so I'm confused as far as that goes. If it's not the right speedometer, then the motor may or may not be almost 8,000 miles. When engaging the clutch and pedaling forwards, I noticed a really strange noise, and narrowed it down to the rear wheel. It might need new ball bearings. I posted on Ike's forums, he has never seen or heard of this moped!! I guess I have a small piece of the Motomarina history sitting in my dining room! LOL. I just hope this good ol ped gets back on the road.

Don Pflueger /

yea the ravens are not very popular or well known. but the wheel bearings should just be a standard size ball bearing that you can find in any hardware store.

I don't know why this moped wasn't popular!! I think it's pretty sweet myself. I like the style and everything about it. Maybe people just didn't give them a chance?? Anyways, I hate having to wait until Wednesday to get the parts I need in order to get it started or at least try to start it, but patience is a virtue I guess lol.

If it's a Motomarina,Angie,it's QUALITY! They ride so smooth it's hard to believe! don-ohio (:^D

Don Pflueger /

post a pic of it. yes patience is a virtue.

I don't currently have a picture of my moped. I've gotta borrow a digi camera so I can get pics of it up. The only picture I do have, I posted it under Motomarina on the pictures section. Mine's identical except for it has a long seat, mine's white, and has white mag wheels. Pretty sweet lookin in my opinion.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account