oil mixture

i have a '78 puch newport II and i was wondering what engine oil it uses and if there's a mix with gasoline in it...also wondering if anyone knows the type of ATF. thanks.

Re: oil mixture

Use what it tells you to use in the owner's manual.

If you do not have the manual, search the web until you find one.

does 1 parts SAE 20W-50 sound to 25 parts gasoline sound right for the engine oil in a '78 newport II??? or do i just use oil and no mix with gas??

here is a link to the owners manual... all the info is in there..

I have a 77 Newport and I use Synthetic Transmission fluid.. it works awesome!

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=25

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Shawn wrote---does 1 parts SAE 20W-50 sound to 25 parts gasoline sound right for the engine oil in a

well this is for the engine oil and that's what it says on the side panel and that's why im confused about the whole thing. with my other moped i'd always put like 10W-30 in the engine and that would be that. but now it says to mix with gasoline and i don't know if that's right.

Shawn, you may have had a 4-stroke engine in your other bike, the puch is a 2-stroke. Go back toFratbones post, double click on the link and read the manual. Jim.

the manual says nothing about what type of oil to use.

my previous moped was a two stroke. a an '89 trac olympic.

i just want to know what to put in the gearbox oil level hole.

What type of oil did you mix with the gas in your Trac? Jim.

Re: oil mixture - the info

Gee Whiz Shawn... the other link is to the owners manual... this maual is on the same site use your mouse finger and click one click back...

here is the link to the lubrication info...

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/puch/sm/puchsm.htm

bookmark this site.. it is the best source for original manuals... and let me get back to ridin my ped lol

Keep in mind this manual was written 30 years ago before the introduction of synthetic oils and calls for type F for the tranny... I have a '77 Newport and a '80 Magnum and run Synthetic two stroke oils in both with amazing results... cooler operating temps... more power... and smoother accelleration... I hightly recommend Synthetic!

good lord.. there is no place to put oil IN a Puch engine...

You need to buy some TWO-STROKE oil and mix it in with the gas in your tank or your engine witll explode!

Mix according to the chart in the owners manual... I use a 2oz jigger and usually add about 1 1/4 jiggers of TWO-STROKE oil for every gallon of gas...

a little too much oil cant hurt your engine but it will foul you plug... but too little will cause insufficient lubrication and you will overheat and seize your motor..

Basically the way it works with the mix is... the gas component cools the piston and the oil component lubricates it.. so that's why you need to have the correct balance of the two...

With regular two-stroke oil it is normal to see some white or gray smoke puffing out from your exhaust... with synthetic it is greatly reduced and hardly smokes at all but gets the same amount of lubrication..

i put synthetic 10W-30 in my trac, but im just going to go ahead and put type F tranny fluid in my gearbox. thanks for the help...

Hey Fratbone, makes me wonder how long that trac ped lasted. Jim.

I just drained my gearbox oil. And it was thick like a grease. Is this normal. It hasn't been started in years and only has 300 Miles on it. Pretty sure it hasn't turned over.

nate

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account